VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-13-2017, 09:54 AM

Default Flap linkage bolt

I thought I would share this discovery since I appreciate other posts when members share important issues. I was performing my annual condition inspection with my local A&P. I decided to pull the interior side panels of my RV-8 to inspect the flap linkage. I had recently made the mistake of taking off with full flaps and although I was confident I didn't overspeed the flaps I thought it would be worth a look. To my surprise I found that the nut on the bolt which connects the flap motor to the linkage almost completely backed off. Although it has a nylon insert this nut could be turned with my fingers.

I have owned the a/c for five years (not the builder) and regret that this was never checked on my previous condition inspections. I can't vouch for whether or not the nut was installed properly but I do see some evidence that a wrench was used on the nut prior to this photo.

Although I have no idea as to why this nut came loose I thought it would be something of interest to this forum.http://s899.photobucket.com/user/dro...tml?sort=3&o=0
Old 12-13-2017, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Good catch. I doubt it came loose. I have seen more than one nut on an airplane that was never tightened.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 12-13-2017, 11:24 AM

Default Probably missed torquing in construction.

I agree with Vic on this one since I just completed my own flap installation. If the bearing is properly installed, the bolt should never have the opportunity to turn at all if torqued to specs.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
Good catch. I doubt it came loose. I have seen more than one nut on an airplane that was never tightened.
Vic
My self! What bothers me is that lately I've been finding loose nuts with torque seal on NEW aircraft.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 175hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 12-13-2017, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
My self! What bothers me is that lately I've been finding loose nuts with torque seal on NEW aircraft.
That's mind-boggling. I don't think someone understands the objective of using torque seal!

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Van's East Coast Representative
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 12-13-2017, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
That's mind-boggling. I don't think someone understands the objective of using torque seal!

Vic
Oh that's an easy one, Vic. You put the torque seal on, and overnight the bolt torques itself to the proper value.

Chris
Lycoming O-360-A1A, Hartzell CS
52F (Northwest Regional, TX)
Old 12-13-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromuald View Post
I thought I would share this discovery since I appreciate other posts when members share important issues. I was performing my annual condition inspection with my local A&P. I decided to pull the interior side panels of my RV-8 to inspect the flap linkage. I had recently made the mistake of taking off with full flaps and although I was confident I didn't overspeed the flaps I thought it would be worth a look. To my surprise I found that the nut on the bolt which connects the flap motor to the linkage almost completely backed off. Although it has a nylon insert this nut could be turned with my fingers.

I have owned the a/c for five years (not the builder) and regret that this was never checked on my previous condition inspections. I can't vouch for whether or not the nut was installed properly but I do see some evidence that a wrench was used on the nut prior to this photo.

Although I have no idea as to why this nut came loose I thought it would be something of interest to this forum.http://s899.photobucket.com/user/dro...tml?sort=3&o=0
Hi Dave,

Glad this didn't end up causing trouble. I need to check my plans but I'm pretty sure this bolt should have a castle nut and cotter pin rather than a nylock.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:10 PM

Vic

Vic, we talking about nuts and bolts or the pilot/mechanic never tightened up properly.
Always an upgrade in progress.
Donated to keep forum alive.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carroll View Post
Hi Dave,

Glad this didn't end up causing trouble. I need to check my plans but I'm pretty sure this bolt should have a castle nut and cotter pin rather than a nylock.
Castle nuts and cotter pins I believe are only used on bolts that will normally rotate. The rotation on the flap bearing should only be in the bearing.
Mel?
Old 12-13-2017, 07:27 PM

Default It should have a cotter pin.

The plans specifically call out:

AN4-11 Bolt
AN960-416 Washer
AN310-4 Nut
MS24665-208 Cotter Pin

I just replaced these the other week.
RV-8 #82594 Flying since May 2012
Barrett XP-360, Catto 3-Blade, Dual G3X Touch, GTN-650, VP-X

Last edited by Jeff A : 12-13-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Added picture