What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My original electric fuel pump finally gives up the ghost after 15 years.

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
This morning before turning the key in the RV-6 I noticed the boost pump didn’t make a sound. Tried tapping it with a hammer and that didn’t work either ;^). The extent of my troubleshooting skills exhausted...

She was a good pump…

fullsizeoutput_21-XL.jpg

Smokey Ray was visiting the hangar in the 'X' and mentioned he had one on the shelf unused. We'll work sumtin' out and I'll install it next week.

Seems like a good opportunity to de-cowl and change the oil.

Last edited:
Clearly it failed because it says "Automotive" on the label. :D Seriously, 15 years sounds about right. I guess you know that those pumps have a micron filter in the bottom that can be inspected by twisting off the bottom.

The Val's original (its the cube shaped one) failed after about 10 years and maybe 1800 hours - so yeah....you're about on timeline.

The Val's original (its the cube shaped one) failed after about 10 years and maybe 1800 hours - so yeah....you're about on timeline.

My cube shaped one failed after 5hrs and 10-15 years of sitting around during construction.

It may be more of an age issue rather than time in use...:)

Hey Doug---go to one of those craft stores (Michaels) and get a clear display cube. Put this pump in it and display it in your office! Well served.

Tom

Back