VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-12-2018, 10:51 PM

Default RV-4 MS1095

I bought a local RV-4 project about a month ago. While the project is pretty far along there are some things that I'm just not happy with. I will be documenting the re-work and continuation of the build here.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:59 PM

Fixing F-412 bulkhead after typical trailering damage

Old 01-12-2018, 11:14 PM

Cowl attach hinge not to plans.

I was not happy with the riveting on the engine mount weldments and the forward fuselage skinning. The F-451 tunnels were on top of the F-420 side skin. They should be underneath. The previous builder must have forgot this step. Instead of drilling out the bottom row of rivets where the skin attached to the bottom longeron (F-450) they just drilled more holes.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:22 PM

Drilling and de-skinning.

UGLY!!!

Old 01-12-2018, 11:28 PM

Some things to consider. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Extra hole

Bad spacing

Old 01-13-2018, 12:25 AM

Been there done that. Twice. You have your work cut out for you.
RV-4 (N684ML) under construction
KOCH Nacogdoches
Old 01-13-2018, 05:33 AM

Default Suggestions

I did a similar rebuild on a -4 with 700 hours of time on it. When I bought the re was significant cracking in the firewall and side skins around the lower firewall brackets. You’re doing the right thing - the lower engine mount attach brackets see a lot of stress for the landing gear, and the riveting of your old brackets would not have held up.

Here are some things I did:

I built a plywood box jig down the center of the aircraft to ensure things didn’t move. It attached to the floor structure and the roll bar mounting points, and allowed me to maintain location of the firewall, top longerons, and bulkheads.

If you don’t like the rivet lines in the #2 bulkheads, they’re pretty easy to replace while you’re “in the neighborhood”.

Look closely at the firewall wedge to see if it was “stretched” into place during assembly. The factory parts didn’t fit together very well, and stress during assembly will lead to cracks later. Replacing the firewall isn’t too much extra work with the sides opened up.

As originally built, my aircraft had binding and wear in the rudder pedal hinges. I found some really long AN bolts to span across each rudder pedal to eliminate the “single shear” configuration of the short hinge bolts in the original design.

I added RV-6 style gussets to brace between the lower firewall brackets and the 3/4” angle uprights.

Good luck with the rebuild. It’s a lot of work, but well worth it!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:05 AM

Default 1" longerons

I had to replace my longerons due to very poor bolt edge distance on the horizontal stabilizer and engine mount weldments. I used 1" angle instead of 3/4". Worked better than expected [IMG][/IMG]
RV-4 (N684ML) under construction
KOCH Nacogdoches
Old 01-13-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foka4 View Post

I built a plywood box jig down the center of the aircraft to ensure things didn’t move. It attached to the floor structure and the roll bar mounting points, and allowed me to maintain location of the firewall, top longerons, and bulkheads.
Can you elaborate? Pictures?

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:39 PM

Considering that at this stage of the build, one should have mastered the basics of bolt hole and rivet spacing, what does the rest of the project look like?

I have two friends that are looking for RV4's right now and seeing this makes me shudder.

Hans

I'd rather fly than tinker.

"There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician, the other is an artist in love with flight."
- Elrey B. Jeppesen,