What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another overhead canopy

Pukauma

30msft0.jpg

I finished my overhead console a couple of months ago. Have received a lot of help from others, and was pleased with my finished product. Thanks for all the help and advice along the way.

Access panels and switch plate are veneered with amboyna burl (off of ebay). I intend on doing the same to panel inserts. Had a disaster first run with spray adhesive, was finally successful bonding veneer with G-flex epoxy. And found that my wife's food sealer is great for vacuum veneering. Finish is a 2k clear, spraymax.

Paint is Sherwin-Williams JetFlex Solvent-Based Polyurethane Enamel
L09027 - Blue Black, satin. Over epoxy resin and micro, some fiberglass to cover the 3/4" flex conduit in the anterior groove adjacent to the windscreen. I extended the Aerosports console to hide the conduit.

Various LED bolt lights, map lights, and mostly rocker switches that have LED indicators on them. A few bump outs to help position things.

Lots and lots of sanding and filling, but in the end I enjoyed it and the final result.

I like what you did in the front of the overhead making a cover for the brace nuts, I wish now I would?ve done that to mine .

As a woodworking teacher I can appreciate that big time! Amboyna burl is a beautiful wood, great choice!

Q

Looks great, and I'll copy some of it...:) - but one question about the paint.

Why did you choose the solvent based JetFlex over the water-based version?

Paint.....

I purchased my paint through Alliance Coatings, they were very helpful for a novice painter. They referred me to a SW rep for technical (spraying) questions.

The tech sounded like a professional painter who was very knowledgeable. He advised me that as a novice painter I would do better with solvent based. He also felt that cleanup with the water base was more difficult and messy. I have no experience, so I took his word on all we discussed.

He also advised me to reduce the paint on the upper end of the recommended range. I followed his advice, and had a great experience with this product. I have a butt load left over, but still have things to paint. Better than running out.

He also felt that cleanup with the water base was more difficult and messy. I have no experience, so I took his word on all we discussed.

Not so sure about the clean up bit - I managed to spill 1/2 gallon of the water-based stuff on the hangar floor. :eek:

The stuff is thick, so most was scooped up for re-use and water on a rag cleaned the concrete. There isn't even a stain there now. :)

Back