What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT Governor Surging Results

RV7ator

Well Known Member
I started a new thread to float this topic to the top, rather than continue the already long thread,

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=13269

wherein many of us were having prop surging difficulties when MT governors were involved.

The executive summary of my experiences is that an MT remains on my -7, the surging is acceptably controlled (but can be induced), though for a new installation I would use a PCU5000 and avoid an MT. Along the way to this conclusion, however, MT has provided stellar customer service and diligently followed through with every offer of assistance.

The rest of the story. During first four hours of Phase I, the -B serial number version overspeeded and surged plus/minus 100 rpm at low airspeeds, high power, hot oil, e.g., a stop-'n-go or transition from cruise to climb.

MT brought this governor up to -D configuration at no charge. The surging, if anything, was worse.

Hartzell suggested increasing the high speed (low pitch) stop from the 180hp spec as shipped to the 200 horsepower pitch as my parallel valve 360 is producing over 200 hp. This adjustment did not help the surging, but I've left it in.

MT prepared a second unit and shipped it to me to swap out with the first, trusting I'd send one back, rather than again ground the plane while governors travelled to and fro. In conversations leading to this, Juergen (MT governor honcho) said that he'd have to modify a variant unit as it was the only one in house at the moment. All other new -D stock had been shipped to other pilots who were having similar difficulties but none as yet had come back for reissue. Yikes!

This modified second govenor works well, but I can still induce a bit (+/- 25 rpm) for up to ten seconds. I'll keep it for now, but I've not yet tried its response in acro. I'm just happy to have it perform normally in flight regimes that would find my most critical pax aboard - my wife.

I can only conclude that MTs with Hartzells are a poor combination on the knife edge of unacceptable as evidenced by my cherry picking, and others' experiences in the thread noted above. One criticism I have of the MT is that a few degrees of arm travel yield a large rpm change. This sensitivity means that the prop vernier shaft only has to move 3/16" from 2700 to 2400 rpm. Worse, Van's MT bracket requires setting an acute angle between the shaft and control arm at the high rpm stop. This means a little shaft travel pulls the arm through many degrees of rotation. You could mitigate this by adjusting the prop control so the knob sticks out 1" from the panel at high rpm, thus positioning the arm and shaft at 90 degrees in the most used rpm range, but that looks goofy in the cockpit.

I talked to a couple of prop/gov shops and several RV and Rocket drivers. Here's the collected hearsay. Several pilots have gone from MTs to PCU5000s and surging has been eliminated. Even though the PCU5000 is another Jihostroj knock-off (MT and Avia house brand it), Aero Technologies hired an ex-McCauley engineer who redesigned the pump gearing and pressures. I'm not received a negative comment from anyone regarding the PCU5000 in many different applications.

No amount of good customer service can make up for marginal performance. Next project (or if the MT doesn't wear well) I'll try the PCU5000.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

explanaiton of some facts

Dear John,

We, as a manufacturer of Jihostroj propeller governors, feel a need to clarify some misleading information we are now seeing to circulate among end users.

In the past, MT-Propeller purchased governors designed and manufactured by our company ? Jihostroj, and distributed them with the ?MT? sticker as a so-called MT-governor. Sometimes in 2004-2005, probably driven by the idea to widen their product portfolio, the MT company decided to get their own governor. In their subsidiary named Avia Propeller (maker of metallic propellers), they
designed the governor, which looks from the outside very similar to ours, but many internal features and solutions are different (i.e. relief valve design, oil pump, internal channeling, machined body instead of forged body etc.). For reasons really unknown to us, MT started to designate their governors with the model designation structure VERY similar to Jihostroj governors, they?ve only used in the designation P-8xx instead of our P-9xx, and distributed their new governors again under the MT-brand name. This has created a real information mess on the market among end users. So we have to say that current ?MT-governor? (with the designation P-8xx) has nothing common with Jihostroj governor, and our company cannot be connected with any kind of problems arising from it.

Regarding the PCU5000 governor, this is in fact the Jihostroj governor, assembled and marketed in the U.S., for which our partners in Aero Technologies obtained the FAA/PMA approval. Aero Technologies did a great job in getting the FAA/PMA approval and penetrating the market, however, the design, engineering, and all parts manufacture (except installation brackets) is done and will remain at Jihostroj Aerospace Division. We of course knew (and has been working together closely) former McCauley engineer hired by Aero Technologies. It?s not easy for me to say that he is no more with us, but he was responsible for the technical side of FAA/PMA process and the support of new installation, not for the product design and engineering, which has always completely been, is, and will remain under our design authority and responsibility.

Excuse me for this rather long explanation, but given the current information confusion, we cannot stay behind without providing necessary explanations. If this input contributed to clarification who actually does what, we strongly believe that it is for the benefit of manufacturers, customers and aircraft owners as a whole.

Sincerely,

Hynek Walner
Jihostroj Aerospace Division

Hynek,

Thank you for posting this information. It clears up a lot of confusion. It is good to see you posting here, we always like to see information directly from manufacturers. I hope that those of us with Jihostroj governors, whether labeled P-9xx or PCU500, can contact you if questions about our governors arise.

Greetings, Paul,

We are ready to answer all the technical/installation/application questions that may arise. Feel free to contact us via this forum contact or through our website www.jihostroj.com ; also, in the coming weeks, we will launch a website dedicated to prop governors to be able to focus more directly to the end users community (many of us used to be flyers before getting to the industry :- )

Happy landings,

Hynek
Jihostroj

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to who actually made my governor, the documents say MT but the model is P-420-3 and was new in 2004 purchased from Van's. FYI I've had no trouble with it at all, no surging etc..

Thanks, Hynek!!

That explanation sure filters the mud out of the water. I'm going to order a PCU5000 and sell the MT to a Lancair gluer.

Can you give us Americans a phonetic spelling of "Jihostroj"?

John Siebold
Boise, ID

In the interest of fairness...

I'm using an MT governor with a Hartzell CS prop, and O-320D2B, on a RV-6, and this entire combination has worked perfectly from day one, right out of the box.

Dear Walt,

Your governor model has been designed and manufactured by our company, and supplied to MT-propeller. They?ve supplied it probablya to Van?s together with the propeller.
Hynek

Dear John, I sent the phonetics of "Jihostroj" name together with the explanation of its etymology to you in the private message. If you did not receive it, tell me, and will post it here (if it?s interesting for someone else ...)
Hynek

I've been wondering about that name...

Propgovernor said:
Dear John, I sent the phonetics of "Jihostroj" name together with the explanation of its etymology to you in the private message. If you did not receive it, tell me, and will post it here (if it?s interesting for someone else ...)
Hynek

Yes, please, I'd like to know how to pronounce Jihostroj and what it means. I've been saying "Geo-stroy", but I'm probably wrong.

Pronunciation

mgomez said:
Yes, please, I'd like to know how to pronounce Jihostroj and what it means. I've been saying "Geo-stroy", but I'm probably wrong.

Didn't see the answer posted but I was told it was "Gee- ho- stro." Might not be accurate but heard that from someone at Oshkosh.

"Jihostroj" pronounciation

mgomez said:

Hello Martin,
You are almost right with your pronounciation: I would say that the correct pronounciation would be something like Gee-ho-stroy, but I know that it?s sort of difficult for english speaking people ... sorry for that. For this reason, we are also trying to introduce the abbreviation JSV (that means JihoStroj Velesin) - Velesin is a small town where the company is located, but nowadays, there are so many abbreviations on the market, that it seems that Jihostroj (the full company name) is known better that JSV. Regarding the name - this is also the result of the long company history (in fact almost 90 years, and 70+ yeras in aeronautics!). It comes from the name Jihoceske Strojirny (in english "Southbohemian Mechanical Engineering Works"), later "compressed" to Jihostroj (so in english, it would be something like SouthMech or South-Engineering or similar ...). I hope that this contribution cleared up a little bit the ethymology ... For more detailed information, feel free to write us on thru our web pages.

Hynek Walner
Jihostroj Aerospace Division

P.S. I like your sentence about composite plane ...

Back