What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X cool buttonology?

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
With the Garmin systems, what cool things can you do with a switch/button so far as controlling the system without the touch screen? Thinking about panel buttons and stick buttons. The PFD/MFD inputs don't seem to have anything switchable.

Garmin Webinar

Garmin put together a greater webinar on the G3X Touch's buttonolgy. I suggest giving it a watch (link below). They also cover with the soft key's on the bezel do, as well as what things like the GMC/305/307 can do

https://youtu.be/b3V4ZeCi4Oo

With the Garmin systems, what cool things can you do with a switch/button ... thinking about panel buttons and stick buttons.

Im sure there are some things exposed. For example ?control wheel steering (CWD)? and ?take-off go-around? (TOGA)?. Most things require an external module such as the auto-pilot controller or the discreet inputs module or engine module.

I do not own a G3X yet but have read the manual before I installed / upgraded to G5s in my RV-6.

There is one box / module that can have the stick trim controls run in and then use airspeed data to slow trim motor speed. The box / module also allows the trim position be displayed on the G3X. Just one thing I remember that can save buying and connection up a lot of separate modules.

Already mentioned but the autopilot controllers (GMC 305/307) are "must have" devices that give you quick and easy button/knob access to all autopilot functions including the "blue button" that can save your bacon or at least buy some time. A passenger can easily understand how to gain control quickly by using the blue button in case of pilot incapacitation.

All good stuff. I was interested too in what in the system could be controlled by panel or stick buttons/switches... I think com swap is one but I haven't found it in the docs yet. TOGA and CWS are buttonable.

Great thread. Some input on the questions/comments:

• Just to be clear, the G3X/G3X Touch autopilot doesn't require a dedicated mode controller. With the original G3X, most modes are available through the display interface. With G3X Touch, all modes are selectable through the display including level mode. Now there are functions of the autopilot that require a separate switch like AP disconnect and CWS. And we would also recommend a breaker for power to the servos as outlined in the manual.
  • Having a dedicated autopilot controller is extremely handy and it provides some backup autopilot control capability you wouldn't otherwise have. If you're going to be using the autopilot a lot, say for flying approaches, its highly recommended to put a GMC 305 or 307 in.
  • Some other cool things you can do with a separate external switch. You can make your own button for level mode. And you can use a separate switch to arm/disarm our electronic stability protection (ESP-X) functionality. They just require use of one of the configurable discrete inputs.
  • The box you mention that can handle trim inputs is called the GAD 27. It will allow you to mix the pilot/co-pilot trim inputs. However, it doesn't handle the display of trim position. Position information is taken in by the GEA 24, our engine/airframe interface box. In addition to the trim input mixing, the GAD 27 also can provide up to 6 channels of interior lighting circuits (DC and PWM), it can provide power and wig-wag function for the taxi and landing lights, it can provide a short term power stabilizer output to key avionics (for engine cranking), additional 9 configurable discrete inputs, and a programmable flap controller!

Regards,
Brian

Great thread. Some input on the questions/comments:

• Some other cool things you can do with a separate external switch. You can make your own button for level mode. And you can use a separate switch to arm/disarm our electronic stability protection (ESP-X) functionality. They just require use of one of the configurable discrete inputs.

Brian, can you elaborate on where the discrete inputs are? As I recall, there are more than on ?box? which can provide them.

Brian, you said:
[*]The box you mention that can handle trim inputs is called the GAD 27. It will allow you to mix the pilot/co-pilot trim inputs. However, it doesn't handle the display of trim position. Position information is taken in by the GEA 24, our engine/airframe interface box. In addition to the trim input mixing, the GAD 27 also can provide up to 6 channels of interior lighting circuits (DC and PWM), it can provide power and wig-wag function for the taxi and landing lights, it can provide a short term power stabilizer output to key avionics (for engine cranking), additional 9 configurable discrete inputs, and a programmable flap [/QUOTE]

Will the G3x, the GAD27, or the GEA 24 provide speed-selectable limits on trim speed, like the Safety Trim system Van's sells? I understand that is important and I am currently determining just how broke Stein is going to make me . . . :eek:

Brian, can you elaborate on where the discrete inputs are? As I recall, there are more than on “box” which can provide them.

Discrete inputs are available on the GEA 24 and the GAD 27. The GAD 27 has 9. the GEA has 4 standard but also has an option to take advantage of some unused general purpose inputs. Details in the installation manual Figure 29-2.2, Rev AB.

Regards,
Brian

Brian, you said:
[*]
Will the G3x, the GAD27, or the GEA 24 provide speed-selectable limits on trim speed, like the Safety Trim system Van's sells? I understand that is important and I am currently determining just how broke Stein is going to make me . . . :eek:

In addition to automatic trim (which runs with our autopilot engaged to trim out the airplane), we also include speed scheduled manual trim. First, you get this speed scheduling as a standard feature with our GSA 28 servos. The servo gets wired directly to your trim motor and allows you to set up the speed schedule. If you opt for the GAD 27, you can wire both pilot/co-pilot trim inputs into the GAD 27 to combine them into a single trim output. If you have GSA 28 servos, you will wire the GAD 27 output to the GSA 28 servo, then the GSA 28 servo output to the trim motor. If you don't have our GSA 28 servo, you can still run the GAD 27 output directly to the trim motor. Reference Figure 26-2.2 in Rev AB installation manual.

Regards,
Brian

Although I am a long way from flying with such a system, it strikes me that a function that would allow switching through MFD screens or toggling between split and full screen from a stick switch would be very handy. Can't find any evidence that this is possible though.:confused:

Although I am a long way from flying with such a system, it strikes me that a function that would allow switching through MFD screens or toggling between split and full screen from a stick switch would be very handy. Can't find any evidence that this is possible though.:confused:

Good morning Ed. Not to say we wouldn't consider possible future additions. But there is definitely a balance between adding switches to the stick and using the very nice interfaces built into the display. I get having some functions that are on the stick. But in most of our planes the panel is up close and personal. So I find it is really convenient to just use the display interface. If you get a chance to play with one of our displays in person I think you'll find it very simple and intuitive to set the display up how you want it. A few examples of how that is possible:

1. Switch from full screen to split screen mode by touching the dedicated split/full key (upper right corner in the example below). Very easy to access at the top of the screen and always in the same location so you can quickly toggle back and forth.
  2. Use the dedicated BACK button to toggle between split and full screen modes.
  3. Touch one of the nice inset windows while in full screen mode to quickly jump to the associated page in split screen mode. Or simply touch the engine strip to jump to the dedicated engine page.
  4. When in split screen mode, use the touchscreen page navigation to select your page, or just grab the outside knob and scroll easily through the series of pages. Scrolling here is very similar to the GPSMap 696 and original G3X and is my go to method out of habit. Some people prefer the touchscreen navigation.
MPpj7U0DtKyQWwuNG2bLBl91QX_dO1juEjuUrR_mTPyJpVyN7eBxuCpO_xY16h_btU4iaFt_DPwHmZsop5C5Sl1_E2mE19YLfrQpgYQBdthhtwvtZzqRnEZ9251hSrM2vBEFJ1XLm26FDHxpHeVVG81lBbYG8gzY5gWrbBlodzNNAXz5F-GejJC6FmYiyaoFSKvyov2HK5NsvSC2jeed0FzsebIllshtt2j8fSaHO6PpUlrnOOsmkmCYaqi2lO2Q_4Q6SChU5tNv4DATFU1moWEvp4yC7mxHdZ_Eug8_FT6HL4O5wktit-n7hHs4Nqpl3ghUhTBNqMxXrl3B1kNn-JF96JvYYvfjFFh5pc28_7yCij0UQkI6d0q3GHU1JOfD_U3pOHLoEjxrZiZ-_wL6DZfXOuIXOuwaorA0xhTEui-8l1fQOnU8YECtyBma0I5hjTl2bbU6yDHBi40mfB9GxHT7UEWC0c8aoVg87gxEyjEXQCXG40vZGXiwA-bQX9NknE5ZqsiKHZn410aGfAwU9QGzRuSiTZZpIX5YRZHgOk0Gb4Agtl3PLPDGpaT3L1rEtWS8QSoPr4FN8aPIpqSsKgqq4rX2cbdTFFaqadDbO6Q-Es9pnRtDzenmKmnuqvSB4IuXsPtGeAiLVFZEM06p0f2yU1OhPi7Th1U=w1326-h964-no

Regards,
Brian

Last edited:
Brian/other G3X Users,
I have been reading more about the G3X system and leaning towards the G3X for my project and I wonder how most people wire the system at the engine start up time to get the critical engine info right away, things like oil pressure.

Do you need to start up the G3X system and let it boot up completely before cranking? How long does it take normally to boot up and how much power does it rob from the starter?

Ideally, I would like to have one on-off Avionics switch that turns on all my avionics. In my pervious plane, I had GRT EIS wired to the master which would give me the oil pressure and would take seconds to boot and be ready. Once all was good, I would turn on the Avionics switch.

There are many futures in GRT that I will miss

Start-up question

I have a backup battery that I use to power up my primary PFD screen an a few of the critical supporting components prior to engine start. It takes maybe 2 minutes to boot the system so that I can display the engine page before I start the engine. (I've never actually timed it)

Once the engine is running and I've checked oil pressure, etc., I power up the rest of the avionics. Since I use the BU battery for the G3X during start-up, it doesn't use any main battery power.

I'm using a small EarthX battery for the backup battery - mainly because it is the way I had my panel wired before I did the G3X upgrade. If I were starting from scratch, I'd probably use one the TCW batteries for my start-up/back-up battery.

I start up all the avionics when I get into the plane and start fastening my seatbelt. The G3x is up and running by the time I'm strapped in, although in the latest release of the software I now notice it takes longer for the ADAHRS to align. I get a progress bar on the G3x regarding the alignment. It doesn't take much time to finish.

I do have the ADAHRS and MFD wired to the GAD 27 which has a pin that will hold output voltage to 12v during engine cranking for them. I have noticed no effect on engine cranking even if I sit in the plane with the avionics on for awhile.

In my first plane, I had a separate avionics switch but I opted to go without in this one. Turn on the master all the avionics come on. I have had no problems with the system operating during engine cranking and I don't expect it to.

I do have a hook up to ground power if I want to run the avionics in the hanger for any extended period of time or recharge the battery if need be.

Optional things like lights and pitot heat have their own switches.

Thank you Rick and Bob for the info. I can't think of any good way (for me) to wire this as each have a down side to it.

Rick,
Is your back up battery wired to the master and would it switch to the ship's battery automatically when the main power is flipped on, presumably after the engine start? Which battery are you using? Do you know if it is possible to have a warning light at the panel that indicates lack of oil pressure and only power up the EIS during the start up?

Mehrad,
The backup battery is just for avionics. It has a separate switch that I turn ON prior to engine start and leave it ON until I land and shut down. When on turn the BU bat on, the G3X (PFD) turns on - all the other avionics remain off. When I'm ready to start the engine, I turn the Master ON. After engine start I turn on the rest of the avionics.

The main battery voltage is slightly higher (about 0.3 or .04 volts) then the BU bat, so once the engine is running everything runs off the main battery/alternator (externally regulated B&C). The Electrical tab on the G3X engine page shows the Voltage of each battery and the Amp output of the alternator.

My brother helped me with the design of the electrial system during my panel upgrade and it is essentially exactly how it does it for all the G3X installations that he does in his shop and on his own plane.

I do have a Low Voltage idiot light that is independent of the G3X (it comes off the voltage regulator). I also have a Master Warning light but it is driven by G3X. I had an independent Oil Pressure warning light in my old panel but I decided not to put it back in when I went to the G3X.

If you want an stand alone Oil Pressure light, all you need to do is install a simple pressure switch wired to a light. I had mine on the standard 3 port/3 postion manifold that is in the Vans FWF kit.

Back