What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics Timing

rvanstory

Well Known Member
I know conventional wisdom is to not buy avionics until last minute due to changing technology. BUT, not sure at what step I would want to do this. Do you want to have avionics install after fuselage is complete, but before finish kit and engine? After finish kit? After engine?

The lead time on a plug and play can be as much as 10 months, so don't want to wait until I need it to order it. Just trying to plan ahead and would appreciate experienced builders advice. Thx.

Typically I recommend that people run conduits early but don't buy or install avionics until they have the engine installed and most of the FWF done.

Feel free to give me a call and we can talk through the process.

After Finish Kit. After Engine install. After, well put it this way, after everything that makes the airplane fly and just before first flight.

Seriously, avionics should always be explored throughout the build process. You should be analyzing your needs, mission, desires all through the process. Keep abreast of all the new things coming out at all times. However, the actual decision to purchase should be put off as long as practical before you absolutely cannot install anything else without first having the instruments in the panel.

If you do this then whatever you install in your panel will only be obsolete 1 or 2 months after you buy it instead of 6 months. LOL :D

Yep. I got a great deal on a Garmin 327 transponder a couple of years ago; only $1200. I'll make you the same deal, if you want to buy some avionics right now. ;-)

I agree with posts #2 and #3. That's my plan.

Some exceptions are that I'm making accommodations for installing specific things while I've still got the fuselage mostly unskinned. Sure, there's a risk they'll change, but some probably won't, and this will save headaches later. Bear in mind, though, that I'm building an RV-3B, and the level of the kit and plans is far lower than for the other airplanes.

Dave

Here's a slightly different viewpoint.

Spec out what you want your avionics to do. Find which avionics fulfill that mission. Buy what fits the bill whenever a good deal comes along.

If your mission statement includes "it must be the absolute latest thing to keep up with all the other guys", then yes - buy the units just before you call the DAR. BUt if you don't need to impress anyone else with just how up to date you are, consider that (as someone said above), anything you buy will be superseded in six months, so your "top of the heap" victory dance will be brief regardless.

I have all sorts of different generations of gear in my airplanes - from GRT HX's (about ten years old now) to original G3X screens, to G3X Touch, and the latest (already "obsolete") plane has a three-screen Skyview. All fulfill their missions just fine. yeah, I like to have the latest, but at a certain point, I decided to give up having to run on that treadmill. Sure, I get new stuff to evaluate, and that's great - but its not always what I buy.

Set your requirements, and then look for a deal along the way.

Paul

Defer what you can, get what you need

Working my third RV (it is a recognized sickness). My approach is to decide a direction so what needs to be done during construction is completed, and the panel comes last.

So I am a SkyView guy (this is what is in the last two RVs). I already purchased the Dynon AOA pitot with mount and the two Dynon Autopilot servo mounts. I'll build the ADHARS mount but wait until panel to buy the actual modules. Wiring will be done to support the SkyView network - about the easiet element of the build.

Carl

I know the common wisdom is panel last. I did not do it that way for the following reasons:

1) Cost. I chose to not use the bleeding edge avionics but rather one step back which in my case was a 430W and great EFIS.

2) Cash flow. I was able to buy all the panel out of the checkbook by doing it in pieces while I worked concurently on the airframe. I bought my new engine LAST after getting the money ready. Minimum time for this $ tied up before flying.

3) Installation access. Much of my wiring was done with the fuselage upside down. No crawling in the fuselage, just a duck under and sit down on a drafting chair. Additionally, all the firewall penetrations were complete before engine arrival. A little "funny" about this. My shop is probably one of the few with an aircraft tire skidmark on the cieling from the day we did the final flip.

4) Easy engine install. As above, all the connections were hanging on the firewall when the engine was hung so it was somewhat like putting an engine on a completed craft. They connected quickly and the last fabrication tasks were baffles and cowl before heading to the airport.

5) Minimum pickled storage time for the engine. That.

Everyone is different. If I built again, I would repeat the same, for the same reasons.

Last edited:
You can also postpone riveting the upper fuselage assembly. With it cleco'd in place, you can work on the doors, cowl, side windows, and cabin cover. It comes off pretty easily even with the cabin cover in place.

This allows you to work on the avionics and wiring with the assembly upside down, as oppose to in the plane and you're the one working upside down.

SNIP
This allows you to work on the avionics and wiring with the assembly upside down, as oppose to in the plane and you're the one working upside down.

While I agree with the objective, I offer that if you take a few simple steps now to make the panel fully removable you will ease both building and maintenance pain. I never go upside down under the panel in any of the planes I built.

Keep in mind you will modify your panel several times over the years. Doing the mods on the bench is always preferred.

Carl

avionics consistency and longevity..

In my second RV now, but what I based panel and layout was the vendors ability to stay consistent with design....i.e the holes in the panel!...:)

Upgrades, hardware & software are a way of life now, good or bad, just reality if you want a glass cockpit. I have gone with Dynon for several reasons, but one of the most important, was their consistency of display and data processing modules, all plug and play, easy to upgrade (other than the pocket book!). There is really little left to the imagination these days with layout, much like the days of the "six-pack", today its two displays, com, nav/com, and audio panel, a few switches to your liking, and put an I-pad or other display to keep the passengers happy. I have so much information sitting in just one 10 x 7 in display I just can't imagine looking for other display technology to make flight safer or bring in more situational awareness to the cockpit. All the warning lights of your choosing (door, alt, etc...) will not change over the lifetime of the airframe most likely, so install and punch holes in the panel.

Maybe I am just too easy or too old, but take me two-steps back and the technology is just awesome and very very safe to fly with. But I fly to get places, have fun, and do it safe. I don't need the best of the best or the newest version in the cockpit to accomplish a safe and fun flight. You need to make some of those choices for yourself and your mission in the aircraft.

Good luck and have fun flying, always!

I took a slightly different approach - I bought different brands for almost every instrument. My GRT HX will listen to the GNS430W, but doesn't go stupid if the 430W or GTX330es shut down. My backup 6 pack is a Dynon D-10A. My Autopilot is a Trio Pro, that can follow the HX, or the 430W, or go on it's own. My only mistake was the VP-200, I had to buy a complete set of backups when they quit supporting it.
John

Back