VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-11-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Replacing Engine Fuel Pump

Is it just me, or are these engine mounted fuel pumps a real PITA to install? I have rotated the engine until the plunger is as far up as it goes. I can get the pump in all the way, as long as it is tilted a little bit. So far, so good. The problem arises when I try to get the socket head cap screw started. Because of interference between the screw head and the pump casting, I'm not able to get it properly aligned for starting the threads. The only way to get alignment of the screw is to pull back the fuel pump a little, which causes the lever to pop up above the plunger. AARRGG.

Any tricks would be appreciated. I have glued the gasket to the pump, so that "trick" is already used.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2007, 12:16 PM

Cool You Need a Lackey

I think you need a lackey to hold the thing in place while you wrestle the screws. I know a guy that is qualified to hold the pump. Give me a call.

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 1900+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 20 and Counting
St. Paul, MN
Track me!
Old 02-12-2007, 01:32 PM

I think I need someone else cussing, apparently one is not enough!
Old 02-12-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Still qualified

I have a merit badge for cussing.........

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 1900+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 20 and Counting
St. Paul, MN
Track me!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:54 PM

the safety wiring doesn't look like fun either. maybe get religious if the cussing doesn't work.

Is there a certain side to work from to get it back up in there? looks like the left side of the engine is the easiest?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:35 AM

Yes, the left side. Access really isn't a big problem, although I'm sure this would be easier with the engine on a stand. The biggest problem is that the casting of the pump will not allow the bolts to be aligned with the holes in the accessory case when the pump is far enough forward for the pump lever to clear the plunger. I.e., the bolts, when pulled back to allow the pump to almost contact the access. housing, hit the casting and are forced into misalignment.

While I'm whining, another compounding problem is that the socket head cap screws' hex socket fits very tightly on the allen wrench. I've tried a couple wrenches, and I may grind one slightly to allow for a little wobble. Even the Bondhus style won't hardly go in.

I will be happy to tackle the safety wires, since that means a victory has been had. I may go back to the airport for another try tonight.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:57 AM

Good description. So with the pump perfectly installed on the case; you can't just reach up and put a cap screw in.

So, that means you can't get everything started with a shorter bolt and swap them out.

A shorter cap screw design? That cap looks like at least an 1/2" long. Obviously a hex head would bump also.

Is the washer too thick?

Sounds horrible. Good luck.

edit-- washer wouldn't make a difference initially since you're pulling the bolts back just trying to get pump in and lined up.

Last edited by mark manda : 02-13-2007 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:07 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Default Lubrication

When the cussing doesn't work, I recomend tequila.... won't get the pump on, but you won't care....

sorry - couldn't resist!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 02-13-2007, 01:52 PM

I had the same issue. I don't know if this is ok but here is what I did. Took the machine screws to the sander and ground off about 1/4" ... I also used an allen that has a ball end. If you try this, try a little less, like 3/16". Also go slow on the sanding or it can enlarge the threads making it difficult to screw in ( not a nice thing to do to the assy case threads ). Perhaps put a nut on before removing any material then make sure it threads off easy. Might be good to put some anti-seize after a solvent rinse to remove any particals that might be on the threads.

Before you install the pump you can put your index finger up in the case and feel the plunger. Have someone turn the prop until it is as short as possible. Then do not push the pump straight on; a little low then up to make shure the arm is under the pin and not pushing on the pin.

Mike
Old 02-13-2007, 04:13 PM

Great advice all, thanks. (Paul, I have some great To-kill-ya someone left me...)

The short bolt idea is great, what I'm going to do is buy a couple shorter bolts, get the pump tight in place, and then remove and replace the shorter bolts one at a time with the proper bolts.

Plunger is all the way up - see earlier post.

I'll keep you posted....