What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Watch those panels! 0.82" have gone missing

wjb

Well Known Member
Hi VAFers,

I found with annoyance today that the .dxf CAD drawing of the RV-7/9 tipper panel supplied by Vans appears incorrect. The horizontal dimensions are correct, but the vertical down the centerline is about 0.82" higher in the CAD drawing vs my chunk of cold, aluminum.

The .dxf measures 11.456 (291mm for our metric using friends), but the physical panel measures only 10.63" (270mm). That's a big difference! ... and hoses my current layout.

I'll check with the mother ship and report back. How about those folks out there who cut these panels for living? Surely this discrepancy has come up?

Watch those panels! 0.82" have gone missing

I found the same thing on the slider panel. The .DXF file is for the panel blank as cut out by the CNC punch prior to bending the bottom flange. That's where the 0.82" went.

I found the same thing on the slider panel. The .DXF file is for the panel blank as cut out by the CNC punch prior to bending the bottom flange. That's where the 0.82" went.

Yea, that would do it. Some notation on the drawing would be very useful if this drawing is simply the blank, pre bending. Perhaps I can get Van's to add this.

From the mothership:

"The dxf is to manufacture the flat punched UNBENT panel. Adding the bend is what reduces the vertical size."

I asked them to make a notation on the drawing and/or on the website to point out this feature.

Back