VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-18-2017, 09:26 AM

Default Tire observation

Just replaced my original tires at 355 hours. Might still look new for Vlad, but after a couple of rotations, it was time. Both are Aero Classic 5.00-5s from Van's.

The used tire, is actually a little bigger than the new one when its placed side by side. Clearly the used one has less rubber, but I guess being under pressure for three years or so, weaken's them and they permanently stretch out some? Anyhow, might not be news, but something I hadn't seen before.

RV-12, N913BC
Hobbs over 390 hours and on second set of main tires!
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 06-18-2017, 09:37 AM

Here is something I did: I took one of my similarly-used tires and cut out a cross-section of the tread. This will give you a good idea of how much tread you have to work with and where it is located with respect to the cord. Of course, different tire brands/ratings may have different tread construction characteristics.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 540+ hours (as of Sept 2017)!
VAF donation through June 2018.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
Here is something I did: I took one of my similarly-used tires and cut out a cross-section of the tread. This will give you a good idea of how much tread you have to work with and where it is located with respect to the cord. Of course, different tire brands/ratings may have different tread construction characteristics.
Great idea. Hey Brett, wanna fire up the hacksaw and report?
Old 06-18-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
Had a guy bring in a -6 once for annual condition inspection with quite a bit of cord showing. I cut the tire to show him how close to "air" he was.
He now changes tires before the cord shows.
He thought "6-ply rating" meant 6 plies. Not so! Many 6-ply rated tires have only 2 plies.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 06-18-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotBrent View Post
The used tire, is actually a little bigger than the new one when its placed side by side. Clearly the used one has less rubber, but I guess being under pressure for three years or so, weaken's them and they permanently stretch out some? Anyhow, might not be news, but something I hadn't seen before.

They do grow as they wear. Airplanes with retractable gear need to account for "throw and grown" tires in the wheel wells. Some times it is listed on the tire spec or it can be calculated. See page 21 in the Goodyear Catalog
Based at 1H0 (Creve Coeur)
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 06-19-2017, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Had a guy bring in a -6 once for annual condition inspection with quite a bit of cord showing. I cut the tire to show him how close to "air" he was.
He now changes tires before the cord shows.
He thought "6-ply rating" meant 6 plies. Not so! Many 6-ply rated tires have only 2 plies.
OK, I'll bite. How does a 6-ply tire get its name if it only has 2 plies?
RV-120760
http://n76012.blogspot.com
Dues paid through 6-2018
Old 06-19-2017, 07:41 AM

My recollection is that originally, Plies were defined for their individual strength. As the materials got stronger, the ply strength ratings were maintaining while the layers were reduced- Always maintaining the same strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhill916 View Post
OK, I'll bite. How does a 6-ply tire get its name if it only has 2 plies?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latintan View Post
My recollection is that originally, Plies were defined for their individual strength. As the materials got stronger, the ply strength ratings were maintaining while the layers were reduced- Always maintaining the same strength.
That's correct. Unfortunately it gives many people a false sense of security.
They may wear through to the second ply thinking they have 4 more to go when actually they"re on the last one.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 06-19-2017, 08:16 AM

The other tire "gotcha" which recently "got" me was tire growth in the other dimension... width. In this instance it is a nose wheel tire which has zero flight hours but several years sitting on the aircraft, supporting the engine etc. Over time it has grown in width to the point where I have to replace it because it is too wide for the nose wheel fork. It has grown close to 1/2" in width!

Seems a shame to be replacing this tire while it is essentially brand new and still has the little rubber nibs on it. Oh well, far better to pay for a new tire than to risk a nose wheel tire failure!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:53 AM

Default Desser Tire

While not helping with tire wear, you can get a 9/32 "monster" retread from Desser Tire to provide a little extra rubber with a slightly harder compound : Desser Tire 5.00-5-6 ply Monster Retread

I've had great success with Desser retreads; they have a great price and free shipping.

- RV-12 N975G, SN 120840, Build in progress...finally on the finishing kit, so, something like 90% done and 90% left to go.
- 1975 B58 Baron, N1975G (a bottomless money pit that makes building an RV look like lunch money, but it's a great airplane, hauls the family and my wife likes two engines...go figure)
- 1961 A33 Debonair, N433JC (R.I.P.)
- RV7A; didn't finish it and donated to kid's club
- Zenith CH601XL; flying somewhere in Louisiana https://youtu.be/wa_Y_A_rP_8