What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-623 corner rib question

Sid Lambert

Well Known Member
Hello again all,

I have a question about where the F-623A actually goes. If you look at the plans (22 C-C), the drawing appears to me that he 623 is on the outside or not even under the seat back bulkhead. I'm not sure how the strap even does anything. Is the strap more of a doubler and not a strap? Do I need to trim the flange of F-623 so it fits between the skin and
seat back
bulkhead?

From the bottom skin up, the order appears to be:
Bottom center skin, bulkhead flange, 623, 623A. Is this correct?

Does anyone have an good pictures of this assembly? Or a good description of it?

Thanks all.

re: F-623 Corner rib question

You have to trim the F623 corner rib so it does NOT slide between the skin (F-776) and the bulkhead (F-705).

On the forward hole of the strap the sequence of parts is:
F-623A (Forward Attach Strap)
F-705A (Rear Spar Attch Bulkhead)
F-776 (Bottom Skin)

On teh 2 aft holes of the strap the sequence of parts is:
F-623A (Forward Attach Strap)
F-623 (Corner rib)
F-776 (Bottom Skin)

Guy Deraspe
RV-7A Fuselage

Just working on the same area.
My question is, how do the bottom and side skins meet between the rear spar attach and the rolled portion of the side skin? Does it even matter?

jimgreen said:
Just working on the same area.
My question is, how do the bottom and side skins meet between the rear spar attach and the rolled portion of the side skin? Does it even matter?

Is this what you're looking for?

corner_profile.PNG

Great diagram Jamie.

I have a related question. Just recently I drilled my F-623s to the bottom skin and I noticed that the shape of the F-623 didn't exactly match the shape of the bottom skin. If I aligned the forward part (flange) of the F-623 to edge of the bottom skin, the aft flange ended up being about 3/32" inboard of the bottom skin edge. If I tried to align it along the entire edge, the F-623 stuck out about 1/16-3/32" past the skin just forward and aft of the corner notch.

So my question is this... is it more important to align the forward flange since it will rivet to the side skin, knowing that the aft flange won't be aligned with the edge of the bottom skin. Or is it better to do you best to align it with along it's entire length, knowing that it will push the side skin out a touch? Then again, maybe it just doesn't matter. :)

Last edited:
Back