What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Road to My First Aerobatic Contest: a New Guy's Perspective

Gash

Well Known Member
I just got back from my first aerobatic contest, the Hammerhead Roundup in Borrego Springs, California. My purpose for writing this post is to describe what a contest is like from the perspective of a new guy. Until recently I knew nothing about the International Aerobatic Club (IAC) or how to get involved in competition aerobatics. Are you like me? If so, I hope this post is helpful.

Beginnings

I flew my RV-8 to Oshkosh last year and happened to stumble upon Ron Schreck's RV aerobatics presentation at the IAC building. I was awestruck. For the first time I realized that it is actually possible to compete in the RV and to join the ranks of some of the most talented pilots in the world.

Preparation

I joined IAC for free for 6 months, bought a parachute, installed an inverted oil system, and fabricated a simple canopy quick release. Then I jumped in with both feet.

With new member card in hand, I logged onto the IAC website and read everything I could find. I also searched for old posts on the topic here on VAF, and then introduced myself to some RV aerobatics experts here to ask questions (thanks guys for your patience!) Finally, I got in touch with my local IAC chapter to get on their radar.

Then knowing that progress needs a goal, I signed up for the Hammerhead Roundup and circled the dates on my calendar.

Practice

The Aresti symbols looked like Chinese to me, so I found a very informative video series online called The Aerobatic Textbook put out by IAC Chapter 34. Then I downloaded the Sportsman Known Sequence from the IAC website and then used the videos to figure out the sequence. I did order the latest Aresti catalog online, but am still waiting for it to arrive.

Break. I need to mention my training background. I flew lots of aerobatics in the Air Force. From my past life, I generally knew how to do everything in the Sportsman category except for a competition style slow roll and a hammerhead. I also needed work on precise lines, timing and crisp rolls. For all this, I read articles and books, watched videos and then taught myself. I do not recommend this approach for everyone! Get coaching and instruction if you haven't been around aerobatics already. Really. In fact, now that I've flown a contest I see the need to attend an aerobatic training camp or two simply because there's no substitute for having a coach on the ground giving real time pointers.

Off the soap box. The next big thing for me to figure out was how to stay inside the aerobatic box: 1 kilometer square x 2,000 feet vertical (1,500 to 3,500 AGL). It's not easy, but it's a fun energy management and strategy challenge. Add a stiff wind and it gets downright silly for the uninitiated. First I learned to laugh at myself, and second I learned everything I could about energy management in the Vans RV-8. I no longer look at it as just a box. I now see it as a chess board.

With the figures learned and the box tamed, I set out to practice the sequence as much as possible. I spent the last month flying once or twice a day for 20 minutes at a time. I would bang out 3 or 4 sequences per flight, shooting video and taking notes on each flight.

Arrival

Landing in Borrego Springs, I felt like a kid going to his first day of school in a new town. I really didn't know what to expect. And here is the main point I want to get across: it's no big deal! I met some of the most inviting, friendly and supportive people I've ever flown with. From organizers to judges to contestants, everyone was an absolute pleasure to be around.

All you have to do is take the first step. Show up and introduce yourself and then you're "in". Just like that. I told everyone that I am new and would have many questions. Answers and advice flowed freely, and I soaked up more in three days than I had in three months prior.

The Contest

I was immediately impressed with how organized everything is. An IAC sanctioned contest is the real deal! Everything is official, organized, deliberate and run according to the rule book. This is definitely not a bunch of guys showing up to informally flop around in the sky. To me it felt like a college track meet, and operated with the same clockwork precision.

Pilots compete in different categories: Primary, Sportsman, Intermediate, Advanced and Unlimited. Our RVs can compete well in Primary and Sportsman, and Intermediate too with some skill and the right equipment. The only reason I decided to go for Sportsman on my first contest was that it looked like more fun. Otherwise, Primary is a very reasonable starting point.

In Sportsman there's the option to fly all "known" sequences, or you can add a "free" sequence of your own design. As the new guy, I decided to keep it simple and just fly three known sequences in a row. I flew the Sportsman Known twice on the first day, and once on the last day. I flew against 1 Extra 300, 1 Christen Eagle, 3 Super Decathlons and 1 Great Lakes. Each flight was judged by a panel of 5 judges, who were each accompanied by an assistant and recorder.

Everyone is a volunteer--the contest cannot run without full participation from all the pilots. When not in the lineup to fly, I had the privilege of being a recorder. This was an excellent education. Between sequences, the judge took time to explain the finer points of aerobatics and what they were looking for. Of course, I took all this to heart to improve my own figures and presentation.

Awards and Rewards

I placed 3rd in the first two flights, and then came in 1st place on the final flight. This got me an overall 2nd place in the Sportsman Final standings. I also got the Best First Time Sportsman Award and the Grassroots Achievement Flight Medal.

Those were just the awards, but the real reward was being able to rub shoulders with some aerobatic legends and world class pilots. I got to ask questions of the experts in a relaxing and fun atmosphere, and the whole time nobody treated me like an outsider. In fact, many people told me flat out that they want to see more RV pilots in the IAC. As we all know, there are thousands of RV pilots out there who just need a little nudge to join the IAC and have some great aerobatic fun! Even if you're not interested in competition, the IAC is for people who may want to practice non-competitive "sport" aerobatics or who just want to be more capable pilots by learning more about the flight envelope of the RV.

I hope this has been helpful. Now here's a link to some photos from the contest.

Last edited:
Awesome write up and pics, Karl! Congratulations, sounds like you had a great time.
Now, as soon as I get my RV-4 flying......

Doug
Seattle area

Awesome!

I can tell you are hyped up about your competition experience. You edited your post at 2:26 AM! Trouble sleeping?

Great write-up and a great first contest. You should be proud. Now that you're and "old head", grab a few close RV friends and bring them to the next contest. This sort of fun can be contagious.

That's only 23:26 MST, but still past bedtime if you ask me!

Thanks for the blueprint, Gash. Once I get my plane back together I am in.

I can tell you are hyped up about your competition experience. You edited your post at 2:26 AM!

Naw, I'm on Pacific Time here in AZ! It's still early for this night owl! Funny though how well I sleep after a full day of aerobatics. :)

Hello Karl,

WOW!!!! That is awesome! 2nd place on your first contest. That's huge! I'm very happy for you. Congratulations.

The contest environment as you describe is exactly what I have experienced, which is why I'm hooked. Great pictures BTW! Everyone is so welcoming and helpful. They would absolutely love to see more RV participation and I hope so too. So you guys and gals out there that have any inclination toward aerobatics, even if not competing, come out and watch a contest or a training/coaching camp. I guarantee you will have a good time!

More congratulations

Karl, that's the way to go, and that's the best write-up I've seen about a first contest and entering the world of aerobatics. You've set the bar high for others and yourself, but that's the fun and challenging point for this magnificent sport. Good luck to the other RVs on their first or many other competitions. Thanks again Ron for providing the leadership.
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

Finally, I got in touch with my local IAC chapter to get on their radar......

This was your only 'mistake'. You should of found an IAC chapter and then you would have had this experience sooner:

All you have to do is take the first step. Show up and introduce yourself and then you're "in". Just like that. I told everyone that I am new and would have many questions. Answers and advice flowed freely, and I soaked up more in three days than I had in three months prior.

Those were just the awards, but the real reward was being able to rub shoulders with some aerobatic legends and world class pilots. I got to ask questions of the experts in a relaxing and fun atmosphere, and the whole time nobody treated me like an outsider.

Welcome, now drag a friend in!

Edit:
Oh and that little star next to your name here: https://iaccdb.iac.org/contests/554

Means you did EVERY figure with at least a 5.0 from EVERY judge. You are now qualified for a Sportsman Stars award.

https://www.iac.org/files/2015 AchAward Power Sportsman copy.pdf

Upper right hand box....

Last edited:
Karl,

Congratulations on your first contest and impressive results. I flew IAC Sportsman class for about five years and was very pleased when my scores were near or over 80%. You were right there first time out! Low eighties is usually about the top end in Sportsman scores. I flew high drag biplanes which is almost cheating compared to a RV!

Good work!

Thanks Bill! It was fun watching the higher drag bipes...they could certainly do things differently. As for the RV and its ability to gain energy on the downlines, I just found ways to use that to my advantage (sort of playing to our airplane's strengths).

For example, one of the things I tried was right at the start of the sequence. I noticed how some guys in Sportsman enter the box in nearly level flight on a rather extended X axis, sort of droning until they arrive at the box. No problem with that of course, but it seemed to me like the presentation to the judges could be improved upon--right out of the blocks. So I came screaming into the box in a dive, 3 BIG exaggerated wing rocks, leveled out for the first figure and jumped into the sequence as if to say "I'm here and I mean business". It was more of an exciting, high energy entrance for which I think the RV-8 is well-suited. This got a few comments later on that it "shows well".

I flew the figures at higher speeds and somewhat higher G loads (4.5 to 5). The goal was to have a high turn rate, but keep the turn radii small enough to stay in the box, all the while not bleeding energy unnecessarily. It worked out alright, but I still have a long way to go and lots of practice ahead. I'm experimenting with other variations of energy management to find the sweet spot "corner velocity" for my engine and airplane combination. For me, the challenge of managing energy and box position is almost as fun as flying the figures!

Back