What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cooling and fuel vapor lock helped by cowl flap

Flflyer

My RV7 is not the Oskosh show winning baffle installation, but it is in decent shape. Still, I've had cooling problems in the hot weather, such as reaching 400F CHT before I'm ready to level out during climb. I've checked fuel flow, tried various baffle and cowl tweaks that I've read about here, and finally a nice guy told me to check out AntiSplat while I was chatting at Sun n Fun.

I ended up ordering one cowl flap, figuring that I could get another if I needed it. It was easier than I thought to cut the hole with the template. I used one of those vibrating cutters with the half-moon fine tooth attachment. I was a little worried about crushing the cowl with air hammered rivets, but used soft, flush rivets and it was pretty easy with a mushroom head on the rivet gun.

The hardest thing was soldering the wires on the DPDT switch, which was pretty tiny for my eyes. But I made it work, and used shrink tubing to cover up the exposed terminals after soldering. Drilled 2 small holes, one for the switch, one for the blinking LED light, and hook to a small fuse or breaker. There's a small inline coupler near the cowl flap so that you can drop the cowling when you need to. I wire tied that where I could reach it with the top cowl off.

The little light blinks when the cowl flap is open, and doesn't blink when it's closed. It closes perfectly flush, and seems strongly made. Even better, the temps on climbout also tell me that it's open! Difficult to tell exactly, since every day in Spring here is a different temperature, but I'm guessing 20-25 degrees less on ALL cylinders, maybe more, because I've been trying to make it heat up in order to test it......whereas before, I was always powering back, flat climbing, etc.

By choosing the starboard side, it also helps cool the convoluted gascolator area, which, I suspect of causing me some vapor lock symptoms after a heat soaked stop.

Thanks to the gent at Sun N Fun who told me about this. And thanks to you guys who recommended putting screws on the bottom cowl, they have also worked well!

Thanks

Good info, Thanks for posting your results.
Do you have a Carb or FI ?
360 or 320?
FP or CS prop?

It is a carb 0-360 that started with a fixed pitch prop (the Sensenich recommended) and now has a new constant speed prop.

The aluminum piano hinge on the bottom of the lower cowl was replaced with screws because there was always pressure tending to bow it out. This cracked and broke the hinge material. Which made me think that the exit area being increased could help with the cooling.

I've noticed that there is a 'hump' of over heating, and once the engine is cooled down (in the mid to high 300's CHT) that the temps don't have a problem for the rest of the climb. I observed that before the cowl flap, but I still had to deal with a heat soaked engine at full power, low airflow, getting over that 'hump'.

Fuel

It is a carb 0-360 that started with a fixed pitch prop (the Sensenich recommended) and now has a new constant speed prop.

The aluminum piano hinge on the bottom of the lower cowl was replaced with screws because there was always pressure tending to bow it out. This cracked and broke the hinge material. Which made me think that the exit area being increased could help with the cooling.

I've noticed that there is a 'hump' of over heating, and once the engine is cooled down (in the mid to high 300's CHT) that the temps don't have a problem for the rest of the climb. I observed that before the cowl flap, but I still had to deal with a heat soaked engine at full power, low airflow, getting over that 'hump'.

The Hump is most likely caused from increased power output. The original FP prop limited your static/takeoff RPM's thereby reducing the power output. Your new CS prop allows full rpm for takeoff and you get 100% power or very near it. More power equals more heat. As you climb, the DA lowers your power output and helps with cooling.
I am glad the cowl flap helped your issues, but, you mentioned you checked your fuel flow. How did you check it? A properly set up 0-360 CS at SL should be flowing 16 to 17 gallons per hour on full power takeoff. Your egts should also be about 1300 during the same time. If not, your carb needs to be enriched. There are plenty of posts on VAF about this issue. I do agree the cowl flap is another tool to help keep cooling under control and I applaud Allen for providing a nice mod.

I used the dynon 100 or 120 display with a red cube fuel flow installed. The K factor is very accurate for total fuel used, so I'm assuming it's accurate for rate, also. However, it does indicate a higher flow when the inline boost pump is used. My logical mind says that the fuel goes to a float bowl which regulates the amount going in, so more pressure seemingly shouldn't increase fuel flow.

I've seen as high as 18 GPH with the boost pump on, but I have no way to know if that all goes to the carb. Is it common to have high fuel pressures (by using boost pump) 'fool' the flowmeter by having some slight bypassing around the vanes? I'll pay more attention to the EGT's next time, but I thought a long time ago that I verified I had at least 175 degrees between takeoff EGT's and peak.

Last edited:
I used the dynon 100 or 120 display with a red cube fuel flow installed. The K factor is very accurate for total fuel used, so I'm assuming it's accurate for rate, also. However, it does indicate a higher flow when the inline boost pump is used. My logical mind says that the fuel goes to a float bowl which regulates the amount going in, so more pressure seemingly shouldn't increase fuel flow.

I've seen as high as 18 GPH with the boost pump on, but I have no way to know if that all goes to the carb. Is it common to have high fuel pressures (by using boost pump) 'fool' the flowmeter by having some slight bypassing around the vanes? I'll pay more attention to the EGT's next time, but I thought a long time ago that I verified I had at least 175 degrees between takeoff EGT's and peak.

Good info.
Yes, the carb will only take as much as it is using. But if you are seeing anywhere around 18gph than most likely you are good. That means the cowl flap is really helping and not just covering for a poor setup.

If the red cube is between the boost pump and the engine-driven pump, higher flow indication with boost pump is normal.

150-175 ROP is plenty rich. Throwing more fuel at it will reduce power and CHT. Better to maintain rated power, and cool with the additional exit area when needed. Air is free.

Climbing an O-360 at 18 GPH would be running rich as six feet up a steer's butt.

Run the numbers. 18 x 6 is 108 lbs of fuel. 108/180 is a BSFC of 0.60. Go up a few thousand where it can't make 180 HP, and if still at 18 GPH, BSFC is even higher.

Below, from FAA Hughes, IO-540K at full hot, 2700 RPM and 26", a reasonable assumption for a climb. Max power is at a BSFC of 0.475. 150 ROP is a BSFC around 0.495; power is down by one horsepower max, and it's well away from detonation onset. A BSFC of 0.60 is about 250 ROP, and down about 9 HP.

Last edited:
Climbing an O-360 at 18 GPH would be running rich as six feet up a steer's butt.

Run the numbers. 18 x 6 is 108 lbs of fuel. 108/180 is a BSFC of 0.60. Go up a few thousand where it can't make 180 HP, and if still at 18 GPH, BSFC is even higher.

Agreed. On my IO360 I see about 16.5 with full rich and 2700 rpm for takeoff power, and usually climb at 12-13 gph at 2500 rpm just for CHT protection, and lean as I climb to keep the CHT's nibbling at, but just below 400F.

I don't know squat about Dan's el Nestor graphs but I do know that those tiny electrical connectors on the anti splat cowl flap do not hold up well over time so I switched my 2 cowl flaps to moles connectors and solved that issue.

John Morgan

That would be a molex connector. Anybody else have issues with this stupid I pad changing your words without asking you?

Something to chew on

...Below, from FAA Hughes, IO-540K at full hot, 2700 RPM and 26", a reasonable assumption for a climb. Max power is at a BSFC of 0.475. 150 ROP is a BSFC around 0.495; power is down by one horsepower max, and it's well away from detonation onset. A BSFC of 0.60 is about 250 ROP, and down about 9 HP.
Definitely a lot to chew on in that graph.

Back