What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3D printed glare shield - crushable

A5555

Well Known Member
sized for Dynon D100 - velcro attach. weight = 0.07 lb

Picture%20003_zpscf16fq6m.jpg

Picture%20009_zps5jmvlg2u.jpg

Last edited:
Steve - you say this is crushable. I know nothing about 3D printing, hence my curiosity about what makes this crushable. Any thoughts you might be able to share would be appreciated.

BTW, it seems you are having way too much fun with that printer!

Steve - you say this is crushable. I know nothing about 3D printing, hence my curiosity about what makes this crushable. Any thoughts you might be able to share would be appreciated.

BTW, it seems you are having way too much fun with that printer!

crushable just means you could crush with with you hand..... or your head.

sounds too good.

Steve,
I like it.
Are you test flying it too? assuming.......
Double face tape mount? Velcro?
Or drill and install under unit?
I would like to hear more about it as you progress.
Nice work.

Thanks for clarifying the "crushable" comment. So it's not specifically designed to crush easily to prevent gashes to the face. That's always my concern with anything in the cockpit. We pilots tend to be handsome dudes / beautiful dudettes, and we definitely don't want anything marring our megawatt smiles!

heck no but if someone is willing to test some of these and do a write up I ship out several of different sizes. tell me the size you need.

Are they just for the D100 or are you also going to make them for the SkyView 7 & 10" displays as well as for iPads?

:cool:

Are they just for the D100 or are you also going to make them for the SkyView 7 & 10" displays as well as for iPads?

:cool:

Whatever would be beneficial. I threw this out there to generate some ideas. For the folks that use the academic version of Solidworks we are bound by our agreement not to use for commercial use. This is free think for the group benefit. I can supply test pieces. You cover the cost of shipping. The plastic is cheap, no charge for test pieces. Looking at my setup tonight, I don't see much benefit in a Dynon glare shield since the airplane glare shield is sufficient but I do see a need for my Nexus 7 that is mounted on the side. It would be nice to have a dedicated RV place to store these models so the group could have them printed at UPS or wherever.

Some upcoming projects....
1. Infinity stick cover protector
2. Rocker switch protector
3. Bullet nose for airshow firework sparklers

Completed working projects....
1. Preheat duct
2. Panel display standoff spacer

the display spacer project (12x9x.25 inch) was cool because the corners could be filled where the screws are but the remaining was hollow-hatched. ABS plastic density is slightly less than half of alum and when some features are hollow the weight really comes down. the total spacer weight was 73 grams.... 0.16 lb. An equiv alum spacer would have been close to 0.5 lb. That's a 3x weight reduction. Multiply that by a 6g pull and it adds up.

spacer_zpslsghu6jx.png

Last edited:
I did something similar - see my beauty ring for my EIS 4000 retrofit. My VM1000 failed right after I built my brand new panel, and I didn't want to make a completely new panel:

Before ->
open

After ->
open

For bonus points, how many 3d printed accessories are in the second photo :)

Last edited:
Back