What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Riveting Leading Edge to main spar

RV74ME

Well Known Member
On the RV-7, the plans call for riveting the leading edge to the spar AFTER the main ribs have been riveted to both spars. The problem is, these AN470 rivets are difficult to set because the head is too close to the web of the main rib...even using an offset set. From what I have gathered, most folks get around this by using blind rivets (Van's approved method).

I figured out a much better/easier way to do it without having to use blind rivets. Here's what we did today on my second wing...it was so easy, and it turned out perfect!!:

1. When the instructions tell you to rivet the main ribs to both spars, you can do so....EXCEPT for the ones directly behind/underneath the leading edge. Just cleco these to the main spar (6 of them). It's ok to rivet them all to the rear spar

2. After building the leading edge and ready to install, place it on the spar and cleco in place. Start at one end of the leading edge and un-cleco the main rib directly below it. Bend it out of the way enough to give yourself room for the rivet gun. Rivet the leading edge rib to the main spar. When you are done, cleco the main rib back in place and move to the next leading edge rib. Repeat this until all 6 leading edge ribs are riveted to the main spar.

3. Now you can now go back and rivet the 6 outboard main ribs to the main spar. You will probably have to use the offset, but they are easily reachable.

Hope this helps.

Back