What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flush Swivel Set

MikeJ 7A

In Chapter 3, the paragraph titled, "Rivet Sets:", in reference to the flush rivet set with a swivel joint, it states, "These come with a rubber guard that must be sanded back flush with the face fo the set".

I've got the flush swivel set from Avery's and the rubber guard is already fairly close to flush (within 1/16" or so). How critical is it to get it exactly flush? How do you "sand it back" without damaging the polished surface of the set?

Mike

Avery swivel

The one I got from Avery was already sanded by Bob himself, as I believe they are all shipped that way. I bought a spare rubber piece from them at the same time and it is un-sanded and a therefore a bit longer.

captainron said:
The one I got from Avery was already sanded by Bob himself, as I believe they are all shipped that way. I bought a spare rubber piece from them at the same time and it is un-sanded and a therefore a bit longer.

Mine was definately not sanded yet.

Mike

MikeJ 7A said:
Mine was definately not sanded yet.

Mike

The difference between the sanded and un-sanded rubbers is about 1/16".
If the surface that goes against the a/c skin has a "mold" line on it, then it is probably un-sanded.

captainron said:
The difference between the sanded and un-sanded rubbers is about 1/16".
If the surface that goes against the a/c skin has a "mold" line on it, then it is probably un-sanded.

Right, mine has the mold line, it IS unsanded. So back to my original question, does it really need to be sanded and if so, how best to sand it without messing up the polished set?

Mike

MikeJ 7A said:
Right, mine has the mold line, it IS unsanded. So back to my original question, does it really need to be sanded and if so, how best to sand it without messing up the polished set?

Mike
I was just talking with Bob Avery via email about another matter and told him he's needed here so you will probably hear from him soon. On my swivel set, the stem just pops out and you can probably just peel the rubber off (some liquid soap may help). The measurement from the rubber "rim to the polished face is about .020".

Guys (& ladies):

FYI: The flush swivel set is made by ATI (owned by Snap-On Tools now) and when I buy them the (red) rubber guard has a molding line on the end, and the rubber sticks out beyond the metal set from 1/16" to as much as 1/8". I built a sanding fixture to sand the rubber down to within 1/32" of the crown of the rivet set surface. All the sets I sell have been sanded. This 1/32" distance from the face is ideal because it gives you some rubber contact for friction but allows the set face to contact the work surface with the normmal force of pushing the rivet gun into the work. You do not need to re-sand a set if you got it from me.

If you have one from another source (not sure if other suppliers sand theirs down) you may need to sand it down. IF YOU ARE CAREFUL you can cut out a piece of .032" aluminum round to the inside size of the rubber and double-stick tape the aluminum piece to the face of the set -- then sand on a belt sander (CAREFULLY) the rubber down till you kiss the aluminum (that way you do not grind too far & damage the set face).

Exception here -- the replacement guards I sell ARE NOT SANDED as they need to be sanded to match each set.

If you have one that needs sanding, and do not want to try the above; send it to me and I will sand it on my sanding fixture for free.

Bob Avery

Bob is just awesome.

When I first started my RV6, I had a lot of tools from being a A&P/IA. The ones I needed or just wanted, I bought from Bob. They are all still working fine and I still am making progress on my project. www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/toms/plane_proj.asp

Later I needed a Longeron Yoke for my Dads Skyote spars and right away, http://skyote.org/Gallery/Brink-Project

Bob was the only one who could get it to me on time. He dropped it off in the Fed X box on his way home from work. I had it the next day and My Dad and I squeezed rivets on 16 long angles for the four spars. Bob saved the day and helped us out tremendously, even though it had been years since my original order with them!
I may stock some of the same things Bob does now, but business that specialize like Avery and Cleaveland can offer Value added services like Bobs sanding down the rubber guard on the swivel set.

They may sell bits of hardware, and we may sell bits of tools. Its nice that there are so many good suppliers to the RV need.

Last edited:
Thanks!!

I had the exact same question and decided to do a search. I did some practice riveting last night with the Avery swivel set and was able to set the rivets fine. I didn't know at the time it had been sanded. Thanks for completing this task for me.

John :D

Flush swivel sets

An easy way to remove rubber guard to be flush with face is to use your scotchbright wheel. It removes it and if the wheel touches the face, no problem.

Maybe it has been sanded...

Looking at mine again, I have to take back what I said earlier. I think mine has been sanded nearly flush. It was just done so perfectly that it looks like it was molded that way. Thanks Bob!

MikeJ

Flush swivel set

You just can't beat Bob Avery's service! A great business model!
Here's a pic of an un-sanded replacement rubber and also a comparison shot of the two.

Back