VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-10-2017, 05:10 PM

Default RV-10 Panel Design

I started my panel design on a plan piece of paper with a pencil. After awhile I moved to MS Paint where I would cut and paste things together in a Frankenstein manner trying to get something that made sense. Yesterday I decided to step it up to Visio and include it in my Electrical plans book.

This allowed me to show a bit more detail and move things around without trying to cut and paste a JPEG. I'm at a point now I thought I would share it out and solicit any feedback. Visio allows me to show quite a bit of detail that I wasn't able to do in paint. Should note this isn't to scale per se.

Here are some design considerations/features
  • Slightly different starting system. You will push both Mag toggles up (Momentary) to ground the right mag and engage the starter. Once started both mags remain running. The VPX disengages any future starting attempt while the engine is turning. I may add a temporary hidden relay or wire it in with the strobes as an added precaution.
  • Gave each Alternator it's own switch. Again the VPX prevents both from being on at the same time, so figured I would use two switches.
  • Using illuminated Custom labeled rocker switches. A bit bigger than a traditional switches but they should all fit as shown.
  • The Ram Air switch opens up the Rod Bowers Ram Air to by pass the filter. Used in cruise or as an Alt Air source.
  • Prefer the AP Panel above the MFD.
  • G5 will act as an additional HSI in normal flying. In an emergency if the IBBS fails then it will be the PFD.
  • Can do a remote audio panel but I like the buttons.
  • TOGA button fairly easy to get to if I have to go around. Might be a better spot once I get the throttle quadrant just don't know.
  • Stick mappings are shown as well. I'm foregoing any pilot disconnect function right now. I'm close enough to that person riding right seat I can slap their hand. If it was a tandem I could see it being much more useful.
  • The far right area as well as the bottom center area I kept clear for now. Possibly might use that space for a paper pad or Ipad mount or something like that.

Anyhow that's what it looks like for now... high probability that things will change before my final install.
Donated for 2017

Last edited by AviatorJ : 01-13-2017 at 07:02 AM. Reason: updated drawing
Old 01-10-2017, 05:33 PM

Just 1 radio? If you plan on IFR I highly recommend adding a 2nd Nav/Com like an SL30--redundancy is your friend.

Also on your stick switch mapping the A/P disconnect and CWS are typically the same button--Push and release for the disconnect, push and hold for CWS.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 01-10-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
Just 1 radio? If you plan on IFR I highly recommend adding a 2nd Nav/Com like an SL30--redundancy is your friend.

Also on your stick switch mapping the A/P disconnect and CWS are typically the same button--Push and release for the disconnect, push and hold for CWS.
There are two radios, I'm putting in a GTR 20R behind the panel.

The only time I've been in a plane with CWS had it separately. I'll have to think about that one.
Donated for 2017
Old 01-10-2017, 06:18 PM

Default Random thoughts

I'm in the process of doing the same layout, but using a standard panel - so don't have a good feeling for where the conflicts are with structure in the Aerosport, but you'll likely have to check.

The AP controller will likely have to move down or left to miss the center panel support. (It comes down about an inch in the middle of the panel)

My preference would be to have the fuel boost moved to the far right in that switch group. It is the switch (along with alt air) you need to find when the engine stumbles, so it should be hard to miss.

Another thought: I like my screens side by side, but my current plan has them either side of a radio stack as far left as possible so that I don't have to reach as far when ATC gives me a long reroute. Center console?

USB looks like it will be replaced by USB-C and likely a few more standards over the life of the plane, I'm going old school with a cig. lighter adapter, and a flush USB adapter to future proof.

Derek
Old 01-10-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
I'm in the process of doing the same layout, but using a standard panel ....

Another thought: I like my screens side by side, but my current plan has them either side of a radio stack as far left as possible so that I don't have to reach as far when ATC gives me a long reroute.
Derek
Exactly correct. Two 10" screens with the GTN-650 in the middle, all shifted left so both screens are clearly visible from the pilot seat. The GTN-650 is hard enough to mash buttons on when it is right in front of you. I also used the stock panel as it makes modifications much easier and cheaper. It was only 18 months from first flight to first panel mod. A new $27 piece of aluminum, cut some holes, paint and done.

Carl
Old 01-10-2017, 07:55 PM

If you're curious here are the details on the USB Charger.

My design philosophy with the panel is similar to what drove my electrical system choices and that's to find a balance I'm comfortable with. Being a technologist I know it is impossible to completely future proof any implementation. So I did what I tell my customers to do and that was to find what I need now and in the immediate 18 month future. Outside of that window it's too hard to predict... think about the guy who bought the latest and greatest flip phone, the day before the smartphone release...

Some things I expect I might change around are fairly easy to do. For example if once I'm flying I want to move a switch then I can move the actuator and remap the VPX. If I need another charger type I can remove the one above and install whatever Carlington product fits the same dimensions. If I was to do a major avionics upgrade then I can work within the confines of the Aerosport panel and get new panel inserts for $100. Which in avionics land will be the least of my expenses.

Interesting take on putting a the GTN 650 between the PFD/MFD. I guess if I did something like that I would get used to it but the way I see it I'm more concerned with the information on the PFD/MFD. I fly with a GTN 650 now and it's in the typical radio stack place and I have no issues using it. The RV-10 isn't that big that I feel it would be a stretch to reach over and manipulate it. Would be interested to hear from anyone using the Aerosport EFIS 10" panel with a GTN 650 if they feel otherwise.
Donated for 2017
Old 01-10-2017, 08:48 PM

I don't remember if their 10" panel has the avionics stack tilited towards the pilot or not?
That might help the reach and view if it is.

I know you have a G5 shown, any considerations for a different vendors product to help tiebreak a failure in IMC???

I'm obviously still a ways behind you, but these kinds of topics are of great interest.
RV10 - #41687
http://adamsrv10.wordpress.com
N810AB Reserved
2016-2017 Dues Paid
Old 01-10-2017, 09:49 PM

Part of Garmin's selling point on the G5 was that it's dissimilar code/hardware from their G3X line. What I'm showing here all has a high possibility of being something different by the time I get to the ordering Avionics part. Who knows what will be out in the next year or so.

Also don't believe the panel is tilted towards the left seat.
Donated for 2017
Old 01-10-2017, 11:13 PM

Default Why not quick panel/Stein?

Out of curiosity, why not use the Quick Panel set up by AFS or Stein develop it? Seems like a lot less work, they have done this multiple times prior and know what will/won't work well together.

I don't have any background with avionics and honestly feel like I would forget to install something needed/wanted or do it incorrectly. This is where the experience of Rob or Stein seem to come in nicely.

I don't mean to come across saying we shouldn't design our own, because this is experimental and meant to learn from.

Really just curious what others think

Shawn
Old 01-11-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorJ View Post
...Also don't believe the panel is tilted towards the left seat.
Justin,
If you're using the 10" EFIS panel from Aerosport then yes, the center/avionics section is tilted to the left for better visibility. I have the same panel in my 10 and will post a picture later today. Your layout is very similar to mine.

2017 Dues Paid