What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TiP: Counterweights - "remove hatched area"

mturnerb

Well Known Member
I struggled to do this without making a huge mess. Tried hacksaw, file, scoring with bandsaw, etc. etc.

Finally got out an old (very good) putty knife and a hammer. Worked like a charm.

I scored the edges of the removal area first, then went at it from the ends.

Timing

Oh my goodness!!!! I literally spent an hour and a half last night removing these!!!! Why couldn't you have posted this yesterday!?!?!?! :D:D:D

Oh dear. Talk about bad timing hehehe. Glad that you found a way that works well though, next time I build an RV I can use this technique ^_^

Thanks for sharing! Keep building!

Another idea...

Lead is relatively soft it can usually be cut / worked with any tool that would normally be used for wood.

A wood cutting blade in a band saw works very well on the lead, so I imagine that any small hand saw intended for wood, would work well also.

Lead is relatively soft it can usually be cut / worked with any tool that would normally be used for wood.

A wood cutting blade in a band saw works very well on the lead, so I imagine that any small hand saw intended for wood, would work well also.

Exactly. I used my bandsaw without problem--quick and easy.

My problem with the bandsaw method was all the little pieces of lead flying everywhere. Lead is toxic if ingested or inhaled. So I wanted to do something that would be safer as well as less messy in general. And this was faster for me that the bandsaw method. I was also able to control the cut much easier than with the bandsaw. It got the lead hot and sticky!

Back