VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-17-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Turbo-Charging A Lycoming/Continental 360 Engine

Any one out there got any information on the specifications of the turbos, wastegate and/or pop off valves etc needed for the 360 cubic inch Lycoming engines. I want to use two turbos not one.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:07 PM

I believe the lycoming o-360-c1a came with a turbo, a parts manual for that should give you some numbers for parts, but that would be for just one.
1956 G35 Bonanza
Old 01-17-2007, 09:13 PM

check this out
From Superior
3. Are Turbocharged versions available?
Superior produces a turbo-normalized (TNIO-360) engine for Lancair. This engine application was developed for the Lancair Legacy FG and is sold only through Lancair. Due to the variations in induction systems, exhaust systems and cowlings of the airplanes offered in the experimental market, each turbo-normalized application can be very different and require different sized components. Superior will work directly with any kit manufacturer that would like to offer a turbo-normalized (TNIO-360) engine application.

See this link
http://www.eaa62.org/progress/show-i....itm&bid=blog1
RV7
Wire/Elec Phase
Old 01-17-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Turbocharged RV8

The cover story on the February 2004 Sport Aviation features a very clean Turbocharged RV8.

John Clark
RV8 N18U
KSBA
Old 01-17-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveure
Any one out there got any information on the specifications of the turbos, wastegate and/or pop off valves etc needed for the 360 cubic inch Lycoming engines. I want to use two turbos not one.
Any reason for the twin turbo setup? Seems like a lot of extra work if one would be sufficient. It's EXTREMELY hard to syncronise two turbos to balance boost on a single engine. Mooney did it recently with the Acclaim, but they used single wastegate (or acutator, not sure...). I'd look real hard at doing a single setup. Also look at Tornado Alley Turbo, they make a kit of IO-360's for Cardinal RG's...
Old 01-18-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
If you want to use modern parts and do it at a reasonable price I can help you match the compressors, intercoolers and turbines. Need to know hp, MP and altitude ranges you plan to operate at. The twin turbos package a lot easier in most cases and allow the use of turbos with integral wastegates, again easing plumbing concerns. A big single turbo is a plumbing nightmare on opposed engines generally with long crossover pipes, slip joints, support structures and heavy remote wastegates.

Low mounted turbos will require an oil scavenge pump as well.

There is a lot to it to make it work right. Be sure you need these for your mission before you start and be aware of RV Vne limitations at higher altitudes.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW- 379 hrs. on the Hobbs, new ventral rad installed, new systems and mods, flight testing now
Twin Turbo Subaru EG33, Marcotte M-300, MT, RV10- Tail is on, stalled by life and work.

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 01-18-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:18 PM

Default Cool idea but not practical? (for a RV)

Quote:
That is nice if Ross to offer to help with info on a custom auto based component design; he knows his stuff and it might save you money over a aviation set up, but it will still add: expense, weight, complexity, maintenance and turbo charging a Lyc not made for turbo charging can have negative effect on the engine.

My main point is WHY? How high do you want to fly or need to fly? If you do you will be sucking O2 thru a tube. As Ross mentions the Vne/Flutter margins get ran into. RV's are a "Sport Plane", "Total Performance" which is very versatile and a good cross country plane but not it's main purpose. Except for X-C the turbo is baggage since it only comes into play above say 8,000-10,000 feet.

With that said it would be cool if Ross or someone was able to fab a system based on auto components. The Superior engine is big money. Don't have a $ but I think you might be shocked. I guess about $20k over base engine or about $50 would be a min.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:35 PM

I was planning on doing an auto-based setup for awhile, then I thought about it. Can't run 50W oil through most auto turbos, that means new bearings for the turbos or a completely seperate oil system.... I stopped there.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:44 PM

I'm going to work with Ross on this one and I will keep you updated, however here are some comments gentlemen...... Twin Turbos because the plumbing is WAY less and both fit nicely on either side of the engine tucked under the back of the exhaust on either side, [seen a lot of larger Lycoming engines with twin turbos and they worked just fine], short tubes into the engine air inlet, mounted right on the exhaust manifold [thicker wall tubing] high enough for feed oil to drain back into the pan without any scavenge pump. Using intercoolers, internal wastegates and a preset pop off valve. All I am doing is turbo-normalizing as all my flying is between 10 and 14 thousand feet between the islands [Bahamas], keeps me away from all those Sunday VFR flyers !!!!! and I want to be able to use my Hartzell to its full potential up there.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
That is nice if Ross to offer to help with info on a custom auto based component design; he knows his stuff and it might save you money over a aviation set up, but it will still add: expense, weight, complexity, maintenance and turbo charging a Lyc not made for turbo charging can have negative effect on the engine.

My main point is WHY? How high do you want to fly or need to fly? If you do you will be sucking O2 thru a tube. As Ross mentions the Vne/Flutter margins get ran into. RV's are a "Sport Plane", "Total Performance" which is very versatile and a good cross country plane but not it's main purpose. Except for X-C the turbo is baggage since it only comes into play above say 8,000-10,000 feet.

With that said it would be cool if Ross or someone was able to fab a system based on auto components. The Superior engine is big money. Don't have a $ but I think you might be shocked. I guess about $20k over base engine or about $50 would be a min.

My answer would be why not? There are as many pros for doing it as cons. My FBO is at 6000', and my main route of flight within 40 minutes takes me over 14,000. My regular flights are to Aspen, Eagle Vail, Leadville, Telluride, and for cheap gas, Los Alamos is 20 minutes away. Although not for everyone, I would LOVE to see a 200-210 HP TN. I have a V-tail with a TN
IO 520, and now can't imagine flying without it.
My .02 .