What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GMU 22 Magnetometer Wing Mounting Issues?

DRMA

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm looking for information on mounting the Garmin GMU 22 magnetometer in the RV-10's wing tip. Anyone have any suggestions, warnings, hints, photos, etc. that would help me with this?

In doing a search for Magnetometer or GMU 22 in this forum, I see several posts regarding mountings, with most people apparently mounting it in the tail cone behind the baggage bulk head, with a few people saying theirs is in their wing tip, but I couldn't find much regarding wing tip mounting.

Since I am installing an Airflow Systems air conditioner with the blower motor mounted just behind the bulkhead, I believe the magnetic field interference from the motor will make that location unsuitable for a magnetometer.

I am installing the AeroLEDs Pulsar NS stobes and AeroSun VX wig-wag landing lights in the wing tips but am hoping these won?t be a problem for the magnetometer with a wing tip mounting location? Any thoughts on this assumption?

Any and all advice regarding magnetometer locations, including possible alternative mounting location possibilities will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave Macdonald

Here is an old thread that refers to an RV-8 wingtip mount of the GMU 22. We did move the location forward because of some interference we were getting from aileron movement in flight and that appears to have eliminated a few interference alerts we got on the G3X Touch during Phase I. I'll try to attach a photo of the new location. Here's the link:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=128482&highlight=gmu22+wingtip

And here's the photo of the moved location of the GMU 22. We've been flying it at this location for over a year with no problems at all.

I have my GRT magnetometer mounted in a wingtip with Aeroled Pulsars. Seems to work fine.

And be aware that Stein sells that mounting bracket. I could make one, but I'm not sure it would be that nice.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like wing tip mounting is the best location for my RV-10.

I appreciate the warning about keeping it forward to avoid interference from the aileron leading edge tube, as I was originally thinking it might be best towards the trailing edge to keep it away from the lights. However with the warning regarding aileron interference and having installed a negative ground return wire out to the landing/taxi lights, and a shielded 3 conductor for the Pulsar NS position/strobe lights with the shield as the ground return wire (per AeroLED's recommendation), mounting the magnetometer towards the leading edge it is.

Guess I'll put it in the left wing tip, since the aileron trim servo and autopilot roll servo have both been installed in the right wing.

Cheers,
Dave Macdonald

Thanks everyone. Sounds like wing tip mounting is the best location for my RV-10.

I appreciate the warning about keeping it forward to avoid interference from the aileron leading edge tube, as I was originally thinking it might be best towards the trailing edge to keep it away from the lights. However with the warning regarding aileron interference and having installed a negative ground return wire out to the landing/taxi lights, and a shielded 3 conductor for the Pulsar NS position/strobe lights with the shield as the ground return wire (per AeroLED's recommendation), mounting the magnetometer towards the leading edge it is.

Guess I'll put it in the left wing tip, since the aileron trim servo and autopilot roll servo have both been installed in the right wing.

Cheers,
Dave Macdonald

Hello Dave,

As specified in section 13 (GMU 22 installation) of the G3X Installation manual:

1. Ensure that any electrical conductor that comes within 10 feet (3.0 meters) of the GMU 22 is installed as a twisted shielded pair, not a single-wire conductor. If possible, the shield should be grounded at both ends.
  2. A dedicated power ground should be used and returned as a twisted pair with the power source back into the fuselage for a wing mounted GMU 22.
Using the shield as a power ground return for your wing tip lights is not recommended.

Thanks,
Steve

GMU22

HAVE THERE BEEN INSTALLS IN THE TAIL UNDER THE VERTICAL STABILIZER? THAT IS WHERE I WAS PLANNING INSTALL MINE WITH A "STEIN"MOUNT

Ditto

I was thinking of putting it there, too. Looks like they do it in some of the other models. The problem is that the pitch trim servo is right there. According to the garmin install manual, you are not supposed to be in close proximity to motors and servos, etc.

Has anyone mounted it there with good luck?

Seems like the best place to mount it would be on a selfie stick, mounted on the wing, four feet outside of the wingtip...:D

There are RV10's that have mounted there, just not sure what complications they have encountered. You are right that the trim servo is close. The trim cable are close also. I'm giving it a try using the 4 bolts that hold the forward mount of the vertical stabilizer with Stein's mount using stainless steel bolts.

I questioned this location with Stein and he said that there is no problem....I also believe that we will get an indication that it is not working correctly on our G3X touch screen that it is not within limits. I hope!!!

I was thinking of putting it there, too. Looks like they do it in some of the other models. The problem is that the pitch trim servo is right there. According to the garmin install manual, you are not supposed to be in close proximity to motors and servos, etc.

Has anyone mounted it there with good luck?

Seems like the best place to mount it would be on a selfie stick, mounted on the wing, four feet outside of the wingtip...:D

More like a wooden selfie stick, 10' out!

It's going to be a compromise wherever you put it. I'd follow the guidance of the great and powerful Stein!

Back