What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop Gov Cable Doesn't Align

clutch22

Well Known Member
Looking for some ideas. At some point my governor cable pass-thru hole ended up not even coming close to aligning with the attach location on the arm (I have a quadrant, so I need the last hole on the arm). The plans have you temporarily install the baffle ramp so that the pass-thru hole can be located. I think it was all the additional steps after that, that changed the angle of my ramp enough to where it doesn't align anymore.
I'm not interested in building a new FWD baffle assembly.

I could slot the hole as necessary. It just wouldn't look all that great. Even with the grommet installed, I think there will be a decent gap behind it.

I could plug the hole with a plug-button and use a cable bracket like that shown in the picture and run my cable above the engine. The only problem is, to keep the bracket from running into the upper cowl, the existing hole locations on the bracket don't align with the screws on my Hartzell gov. The best I could do is drill two holes and pick up two of the screws.

A third option would be to purchase the bracket from Showplanes. It has several mounting holes along it, I'm sure I could get it to work. The only problem is, it is designed for a different type of cable. So I would have to purchase that as well.

Any other ideas?

Qw6wjyXBbo0YBMa1uHf3a84iNePfl-dmKtTsDLv-2IbRxVDwCGqH9q-v5AXVeIbyo-X0kC_0Zg=w391-h220-rw

owmg4HI0A8xvTBfW_1Y6mV7JrGIP2x3eAPHVLXZgqdZDUtqAWe8F_l-sZCWjVcGEWjISS3DhUg=w391-h220-rw

20161107_192248%255B1%255D.jpg

(new)-prop-govenor-bracket-.jpg

If you run it over the engine, then you would be running it in the wrong direction. I have had to do this before, but it required building a bellcrank on the forward tunnel cover to reverse the direction of the travel. It can be done, but making it work the stock way is my recommendation.

The standard Vans bracket will not work. It can be modified, I went with the show planes cable bracket. You also will need the longer governor lever. It is ordered through Hartzell. I have not ordered that part.

If you run it over the engine, then you would be running it in the wrong direction. I have had to do this before, but it required building a bellcrank on the forward tunnel cover to reverse the direction of the travel. It can be done, but making it work the stock way is my recommendation.

Jesse, I'm not sure I'm following you. If I go over the engine and clock the governor arm down, everything will be moving in the same direction as before, right?

The standard Vans bracket will not work. It can be modified, I went with the show planes cable bracket. You also will need the longer governor lever. It is ordered through Hartzell. I have not ordered that part.
Yes. I have the longer arm, it is installed in these pictures. BTW, when I ordered it, it was on a 4-5 week lead time.

Also, I just realized Show Planes has an adapter that bolts to their governor bracket to allow the stock "bulkhead" mounted cables that comes in the Van's kits.

Last edited:
Jesse, I'm not sure I'm following you. If I go over the engine and clock the governor arm down, everything will be moving in the same direction as before, right?

That's right, but I don't think there's enough room to clear Cyl 2 there.

I don't remember off hand, but the attached thread shows this: P/N 103568. I called Hartzell to place my order.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=109876

I did go ahead and order the Show Planes bracket to see of I can make it all work. We'll see.

You don't HAVE to run the outer hole, or the extended arm at all, even with the quadrant. I imagine things would line up much nicer with the shorter arm.

You still get full control of the prop (stop to stop), it's just that you don't move the prop lever the full distance of the slot in the quadrant. On mine, full RPM is full forward and right at the stop in the quadrant, but full course is only about 2/3s of the way back on the quadrant. No issues with this. I can fine tune to 10rpm easily. The only downside is if you want to have full OCD and have all the levers to line up at Idle, Full Course, and Mixture Cutoff... for some reason!

The only downside is if you want to have full OCD and have all the levers to line up at Idle, Full Course, and Mixture Cutoff... for some reason!

I hear you Ed. That's a good idea that wouldn't require any mod or rework. But you may be right about my OCD level when it comes to cycling the prop. Oh decisions, decisions. :D
Once I get that Show Planes bracket in, I'll be able to look at my options.

Here's another thought. I'm not sitting in front of my quadrant right now, but I bet it would be possible to locate the cable lower on the quadrant to allow full, or mostly full throw using the standard gov. lever arm. Although, it may be too much of an angle for where these anchor on the quadrant.

I hear you Ed. That's a good idea that wouldn't require any mod or rework. But you may be right about my OCD level when it comes to cycling the prop. Oh decisions, decisions. :D

Here's another thought. I'm not sitting in front of my quadrant right now, but I bet it would be possible to locate the cable lower on the quadrant to allow full, or mostly full throw using the standard gov. lever arm. Although, it may be too much of an angle for where these anchor on the quadrant.

That was my thought too. It would be simple to drill another hole lower in the quadrant handle. A little trigonometry should get the location sorted out. I was planning on trying that if the reduced throw on the lever bothered me after I flew. It didn't bother me.

With the Hartzell gov arm extension, I'm able to get them to all line up.

There are three variations to the throttle quadrant for the 10 that I'm aware of:

1. Van's per plan
2. Van's per Geoff's panel mod
3. Geoff's per his new design.

I have #2 and I believe Ed has #3. Implementation will vary from one to the other. The arm extension will allow a longer throw, which may help you configure the throttle alignment better.

I had the same problem.

I cut a square out of the ramp around the cable. Then I made up a plate with the hole in the middle and a narrow slot to get it around the cable, centred it up on the cable, trimmed to size and riveted in place with Cherrymax. Filled the small area of slot left showing with some white RTV. OK, not the absolutely tidiest of solutions but it works and isn't in an area where people normally inspect your workmanship!

Back