VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-29-2016, 08:16 PM

Question How much Proseal

I need to install 2 locking gas cap sleeves in the wings.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ickkey=3019014

Can anyone tell me if 1oz of Proseal will be enough, or should I get 3.5 ounces?

DG-800S Sailplane
QB RV-8 -- Working on the canopy and wiring
84CX Reserved
Old 10-29-2016, 11:38 PM

For most flanges in the tanks, the rule of thumb equation is one gram of proseal for every linear inch of flange interface. Measure the circumference of your tank flanges and round up from there. The tank flanges are probably a little wider than the normal 5/8" rib flange, so you may need to add a margin accordingly.
Good luck.
Tom.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:11 AM

I did mine recently as well - while I can't tell you the exact quantity I used, it was very likely less than 1oz. I used a 3.5oz tube to do all of: both tank senders, fuel return brackets on the tanks, 6 tank plugs (2 fuel pickups, 2 fuel return, 2 drain), tailcone NACA vents, tailcone static ports, 2 fuel caps. By the time I was done I still had about 30-40% of that tube left.

RV-10 builder #41623
Build log at http://www.airplane.build/
VAF dues paid
Old 10-30-2016, 05:19 AM

(a detail to keep in mind is that you only care to apply sealant to the top part of the new cap flange, which will attach (through the sealant) to the already-installed flange, and that old flange is not very deep)
RV-10 builder #41623
VAF dues paid
Old 10-30-2016, 07:42 AM

Rodrigo,

Recommend you put a ground wire (ring terminal) under one of your fuel sender screws and then proseal on top of that.

Considering all the proseal, the fuel sender may or may not have a good ground. Simple to do now and avoids problems later.

Carl
Old 10-31-2016, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Rodrigo,

Recommend you put a ground wire (ring terminal) under one of your fuel sender screws and then proseal on top of that.

Considering all the proseal, the fuel sender may or may not have a good ground. Simple to do now and avoids problems later.

Carl
Thanks for the suggestion. I did test the conductivity between the surface of the sender plate and the skin, and it's conducting well on both tanks (I also measured the resistance from the skin to the sender terminal and it's giving me 235 ohms at one of the extreme positions, which is expected) - do you see any reason to add the ring terminal anyway?

When I installed the senders, I applied sealant on the inside of the sender plates (including some on the inside of the holes, but not the outside surface where the screws would sit), then fastened the screws, and only then applied sealant on top/around them to ensure they wouldn't leak, so there's good contact between the screws and the sender. I'm thinking that any resistance offset from the ground path through the screws and structure will be corrected by the calibration process.
RV-10 builder #41623
VAF dues paid
Old 10-31-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdamazio View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I did test the conductivity between the surface of the sender plate and the skin, and it's conducting well on both tanks (I also measured the resistance from the skin to the sender terminal and it's giving me 235 ohms at one of the extreme positions, which is expected) - do you see any reason to add the ring terminal anyway?

When I installed the senders, I applied sealant on the inside of the sender plates (including some on the inside of the holes, but not the outside surface where the screws would sit), then fastened the screws, and only then applied sealant on top/around them to ensure they wouldn't leak, so there's good contact between the screws and the sender. I'm thinking that any resistance offset from the ground path through the screws and structure will be corrected by the calibration process.
Looks like what you did worked. Remember to recheck once the wings are on to make sure the ground is good all the way to whatever you are using for your common panel ground.

I find it easy to just avoid the issue and add a ground wire.

Carl
Old 11-04-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Looks like what you did worked. Remember to recheck once the wings are on to make sure the ground is good all the way to whatever you are using for your common panel ground.

I find it easy to just avoid the issue and add a ground wire.

Carl
Thanks, will do.
RV-10 builder #41623
VAF dues paid