What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

my first "wait, that's not right!"

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
Working on the rudder today. I was dimpling the edges of the skins, plugging along daydreaming about my RV-4 ride yesterday. When "HEY are those supposed to be dimpled?" enters my brain. I had dimpled the leading edge rivet holes. Anyone else do this? I guess my first call to Vans will be in a little bit. :eek:

Are you referring to the holes that are pop riveted. I think they take LP-4s. Dimpling them shouldn't cause any sort of problem. Just use a CS-4 pop rivet instead.

Yep, that's the ones.

All ok now. Called Vans and got this response from Gus(?): No problem, just use CS4-4's if you want. or undimple them and install the AD-41's like the plan calls for. Worrying about nothing, but it's my first real screw-up.

BTW-Steve F. emailed me with the exact answer. What a great network, especially for us remote folks.

hydroguy2 said:
No problem, just use CS4-4's if you want. or undimple them
Huh? This sounds like terrible advice. Not the using CS4-4s (my recommendation) but "un-dimpling" a dimpled hole? Somewhere in the deep recesses of the archives, somebody did some testing on "un-dimpling" holes. The un-dimpled holes, while looking OK, had only a fraction of the strength of the original material.

A few of these letting go could jam the rudder and ruin your whole day.

Back