- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2016, 07:22 PM

Default Our trip to the Belfast EAA 1434 Mid Coast Fly-In

Our trip to Belfast, ME began Wednesday morning. Of course there were hours of planning beforehand. I had initially planned to fly to Niagra Falls, NY and then over to Belfast but, the weather forecast up that way did not allow it. So the night before I laid out our new flight plan.

KHVC – Hopkinsville, KY - We took off at 7:46 am and climbed to 7500’. We ended up climbing to 9500’ to get over a cloud layer and stayed there for the rest of the trip to Ashland. I kept checking the weather at Ashland. I knew that it usually stays fogged in at times, because it is right on the river. I had already picked out two other airports just a little further in case I needed to go to one of them instead. Marsha decided to fly the plane for part of this leg, she even flew the pattern I took the control on short final and she stay on them just to follow my lead.

KDWU – Ashland, KY - When we arrived at Ashland it was clear, so we landed and refuel. 1hr 40 mins. 13.6 gallons of fuel. We took off from Ashland about 40 minutes later. They are an hour ahead of us. 11:04 am takeoff. The takeoff picture to the north, below shows Kentucky on the west side of the river and Ohio is on the east side.

KUNV – University Park, PA - 9500’ worked out good so far so back up we went. After we were up and on the way, Marsha took the controls and flew some more. Everything went just as planned; we arrived at 1:00pm. We tied the plane down, went inside got the keys for the courtesy car. Our plan was to book a room for the night and go explore the town for a couple hours then come back to the airport and call for a shuttle to take us to our hotel. This was the plan, because if we continued on we would arrive at Belfast after the rental car company closed and wouldn’t have a ride to our hotel in Bangor. The lady working the front desk said that she thought she overheard someone earlier having a problem finding a room. That is when things started unraveling...

Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2017 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 09-18-2016, 06:29 AM

This is going to be a nice tale Bobby!

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:53 AM

Wink PYM after BST

A big surprise birthday party for Captain John. Thanks to all who came! Missed VLAD and Turbo, though! 50 others did show up!
Old 09-18-2016, 03:53 PM

Default Our Trip part#2

The lady working behind the desk called the Holiday Inn Express to see if they had rooms available and they told her yes. I let her know that we would make a reservation through the internet, because we had a reward night to use for a free stay. I got on my phone and called the IHG reward center. They said that the Hotel was already completely booked for night. I told him that we just checked with the hotel before calling. He put me through to another person and he asked all the same questions only to tell me the same thing. He explained that the hotels only have an allotted amount of rooms that can be used for free stays and they had reached that number already. I told him thank you and then I got on my Hilton Honors app to see if there was a hotel near with rooms available and found that there was not. I travel a lot with work and have earned points that I use when traveling. I could have paid for a room at the Holiday Inn but it was still early and it wasn’t too late to hop in the plane and travel a little further. So I pulled out my laptop and started checking to see if I could make it to my next planned stop, KALB – Albany, NY. It looked like it would be no problem. I still had 25.6 gallons of fuel and only needed to f ly another 1hr 18 mins maybe 15 gallons to get there with 10.6 gallons left. The weather was good, fuel was good, now for a hotel close to the airport. I called IHG rewards and they told me that there was a Hotel Indigo 1 mile from the airport and it had rooms available for reward stays. So far, so good.

I called the airport to check on fee for landing and parking. They told me that the landing fee was about $22 and the tied down fee would be waived with a 15 gallon fuel purchase. Done deal let’s roll! I checked with the lady behind the desk to see if I owed them anything and she said no.

We went back out to the plane and untied it, got in and contacted tower with our intentions. We were cleared for takeoff. We climbed up to 9,500’ through the open spots around some puffy clouds and where handed off to New York Center.

This plan is going to work, or so we thought...
Old 09-18-2016, 04:17 PM

Default Wishing you Smooth air

Bobby thanks for coming. Enjoy the trip home and hope to see you and Marsha next year.
david@rv12pilot.com
2018 VAF Supporter

RV12 #568 EAB
* Started 9/30/2011
* 1st flight 8/30/12

http://www.rv12pilot.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/dvalcik
Old 09-19-2016, 08:18 PM

Default Our Trip part#3

About 10 mins into the flight, and about 7,500’, we get a call from ATC and he said “Albany was asking if I still had the courtesy car key”. OH NO! Yes, I did have the key and was headed back. As I got close, I was looking at my fuel and thought that I had better get some more. I was down to about 20-22 gallons and should have enough but better to have too much. The line guy met me at the turn off and ran up to get the key. Self-serve fuel was further down the taxiway. So we got 8 gallons of fuel and we were off for the second time headed to Albany. Back up to 9,500’ and as we got a little further than the first time the clouds were getting higher and not looking real good to the west. We climbed to 11,500’ and had to let ATC know that we were going to be doing a little dodging around the clouds toward the east.

I wish I had gotten a picture of the sky and the G3X screen, but I was a little busy and Marsha was a little nervous and we weren’t really thinking about pictures at that time. I remember seeing three red blobs on the screen pretty close and at about a 45 degree heading north-east. I started heading that way to get around them and the sky looked better in that direction. Well that worked and we got around the line of ****. It was smooth sailing from here. As we approached Albany we were given a couple headings to follow and was also given two traffic call outs. They were both SWA 727’s and both on final. We were on an extended downwind and were given clear to land and advised of wake turbulence. I stayed well back to avoid the wake turbulence and we landed just fine.

KALB – Albany, NY - We got the plane tied down and put the canopy cover on. We went inside and left our information with the lady behind the counter and asked her to call us the shuttle to the hotel. We snacked on the complimentary popcorn and drinks while we waited. The shuttle showed up in just a few minutes. The hotel was just a mile down the road.

Not sure why the little airplane is facing the wrong way in this picture, it should be facing Albany.

We dropped off everything and walked about 2 miles to Macaroni Grill for a good meal. We woke up the next morning, went to the airport, got 15 gallons of fuel and settled up our bill. The tie down fees are per day not 24 hours, so I still ended up paying $11 to land and $11 to tie down plus 15 gallons of fuel which knocked off the $11 for that day. I called clearance delivery and got all the details for takeoff cleared with them, we were ready to launch by 8:40. We were cleared to taxi right behind this guy.

Last edited by bhester : 09-21-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: corrected landing and parking fees
Old 09-20-2016, 06:44 PM

Nice Bobby! You should be hitting the hanger right about now!
Great pictures.
RV-4 built, flown, sold
Wheeler Express just sitting there.

Dues Paid = How about you?
Old 09-21-2016, 11:00 AM

Default Our Trip part#4

The flight to Bethel was uneventful, with the exception that it was nothing but mountains and trees. (Marsha added the second half of that :-)
We flew this leg at 7,500', well most of it.

Below is Okemo Mountain Resort near Ludlow, VT

People actually live down there

Below is Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. It is the highest peak in the Northeastern United States at 6,288 ft and the most prominent mountain east of the Mississippi River. The mountain is notorious for its erratic weather. Luckily not today. Before we got here ATC advised us that the safe VFR altitude for this area was 8,400', they also said that was just an advisory. we climbed to about 8,200' as we flew over because it wouldn't be long before we started our decent for Bethel.

0B1 – Bethel, ME - We landed 1hr and 13mins later and filled up with 22.5 gallons of fuel. We started our takeoff roll and just before wheels up I looked up and pulled the throttle back. Marsha said oh ****, what!

Last edited by bhester : 09-21-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:42 AM

Great pics and write up! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:49 AM

Default Canopy?

You forgot to lock the canopy Bobby?

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.