What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

39-6 Idler Arm

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
On step 3 where you bolt the Elevator Idler Arm Assembly to the Idler Arm Brackets. I have all 6 washers (3 each side) on with the bolt through and it's a really tight fit. So tight that the Idler Arm assembly drags against the brackets. Should I remove it and take a 1/16th or so off the flange on the assembly, or use more washers to space it a bit more or is there something I'm missing?

step3.jpg

Thanks

You might try substituting thin washers for one or two of the AN960-416 washers, in order to slightly reduce the width of the stack inside the F-1063B bracket.

You might try substituting thin washers for one or two of the AN960-416 washers, in order to slightly reduce the width of the stack inside the F-1063B bracket.

I think reducing the space would cause it to drag more. Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about. One shows how it is now and the other shows how it's dragging on the inside of the bracket.

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

Justin,

Looks like you might have done what I did the first time around. It appears that you still have the "crease" on the flanges. I don't think it explicitly states it in the plans but I believe the flanges are supposed to be trimmed back to that "crease". It looks like an indentation that runs the full length of all the flanges...

If I screwed this up, can someone let me know? My idler arm wouldn't even come close to fitting between the brackets without removing that portion...

I see the line on the assembly, it will be easy to do. Just don't see that on the plans unless I'm overlooking it.

I didn't remove the material all the way to the line as Eric suggested, however I did debur/smooth out the edges and had no issue with clearance. It's often difficult to tell specifics from Internet photos, but it almost appears that the idler arm pieces aren't deburred...? I would think a quick pass on the Scotchbrite wheel and you'd be good to go.

It's deburred, typically I deburred it enough so it looses its edge. I'll go debut it some more and then a little extra on the side that's catching. Thanks!

Could be a QB issue. I had to remove material from both sides to solve the same problem.

Could be since Eric has the QB as well. Spent a few more hours tonight and trimmed the back end parts of the assembly so it would clear. Had to also do a bit of trimming on the control bases and brass bushings to get those to fit as well.

I see the line on the assembly, it will be easy to do. Just don't see that on the plans unless I'm overlooking it.

Because I don't think it is supposed to be required, and that line you see happens during the bending process, not to mark it for trimming.

I suggest you call tech. support for help in finding out what is going on.

Back