What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Fuel System

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
I'm somehow up to needing to buy fuel system components. Before I do that I want to run it over with everyone to make sure I'm not doing anything wacky or missing out on something better.

First off for lines I'm going with Tom at https://www.tsflightlines.com/. I have my brake lines from him and they worked out perfectly so far... will have them all in when I put the pedals in... which is after fuel lines. I don't imagine anyone will have an issue with using lines from Tom.

On the fuel selector I'm going with an Andair EFS20x7-T. Why this? Well over on Ed Kranz build log that's what he said he used. Since I plan on using the same Aerosport center console that he has, figured I need to copy him.

Engine wise going with a BPE IO-540, fuel injected so I'm assuming I don't need a gasolator, and assuming either the Pump/Filter that Vans sells will work or I can go with an Andair pump. Am I missing out on anything if I don't use either one? The Andair one looks like I would have to make a modified mount to use it... so unless there's an added benefit I'll just go with the one Vans sells.

For the fuel flow transducer I was going to go with an FT-60. My choice on the FT-60 vs the Floscan was holistically based on this post. Of probably more importance I'm going to mount it on the engine right before the 'spider'. Tom had send me some pictures of that installation and it looks pretty clean. I also read on Matronixs a lengthy thread that basically had more reasons to mount it on the firewall side than in the tunnel. I have an Airward access panel so getting to it would be possible in the tunnel but if everyone likes it best on the Engine than I'll go with that.

I think that's it on the fuel system, am I missing something or should I do something different? Gas is not a system I want to have issues with... thanks!

The fuel pump and filter that Van's sells is the easiest one to install based on the tunnel layout and is a great system. You don't need a gascolator. Mounting the red cube on top of the engine is ok, but I have had one fail up there, probably due to getting heat soaked every time the engine shuts down. There is also more vibration when mounted to the engine. If it fails, you can move it. Failing won't cause a problem except you won't read fuel flow.

+1 on Vans electric fuel pump. Check the Andair specs, you need 1.2X max fuel rate (takeoff) at 30 psi. Previous Andair pumps did not deliver that. I have verified that the Vans pump will do this and more, pushing fuel through the mechanical pump.

Thanks for the replies. Will go with the Vans standard on the pump and mount the FT-60 somewhere firewall forward, most likely on the engine.

ACS said Andair didn't know what part "EFS20x7-T" was... Going back with it's for an RV-10, going to use Aerosport's Quad Arm Rest and see if they can tell me what part number(s) I need.

Also have more choices to consider- I previously thought you had to put a fuel return line to the tank to use a purging system. Not the case says Tom and he can put together line that T's back on the right side of the fuel selector valve. I like the idea of that, even though I've never had an issue with 'hot starts' I've also not flown a lot of fuel injected planes. Unless someone tells me it's a must have, I'm going to forego it and use an FM-200a, which states a purge valve 'is not needed'. I know there are other reasons you want a purge value but trying not to add complication if I can avoid it.

Lastly I do fly IMC, now if I get into ICE my number #1 goal is to get back out of it. That said I've seen some posts like this one where there's a concern that fuel vents will freeze up and the solution is to put a check valve in the wing root. I get the concept but is there a down side to doing this? Fuel leaks or contaminants being sucked in our other type issues?

Thanks in advance,

Lastly I do fly IMC, now if I get into ICE my number #1 goal is to get back out of it. That said I've seen some posts like this one where there's a concern that fuel vents will freeze up and the solution is to put a check valve in the wing root. I get the concept but is there a down side to doing this? Fuel leaks or contaminants being sucked in our other type issues?

Thanks in advance,

I blatantly copied Tim's alternate vent design. So far, no issues.

Justin---the FS20X7T valve----vans sells it and Spruce now shows the number under--05-13056 (Spruces number). But---looks as though they dont have any. Check Vans first.
Tom

Justin---the FS20X7T valve----vans sells it and Spruce now shows the number under--05-13056 (Spruces number). But---looks as though they dont have any. Check Vans first.
Tom

Thanks Tom, didn't even realize Vans carried those. I'm placing my order today and will be shooting you an email as well for the fuel line order.

Back