What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to OSH

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
Anyone from the Eastern US headed to KOSH in their -12? planning on leaving the Saturday before and stopping overnight close to OSH for an early Sunday arrival. If anyone is interested in caravning up let me know. Located in southern OH.

Kyle,

I will be leaving for AirVenture that Saturday around 10:00 AM local time. I will be flying around the west side of Chicago (Aurora) and then stopping at the RV-12 fly-in in Fort Atkinson, WI from 11 to 2 local. I have a family gathering after that but plan to fly in to KOSH later that afternoon/evening. Not sure of your exact plans or timing, but would be happy to fly up together with you if it fits your plans. I'm just a quick stop for you just south of Indy.

Will be arriving from the South-southwest Sunday around 430pm. Flight of 3 maybe more.:)

Anyone from the Eastern US headed to KOSH in their -12? planning on leaving the Saturday before and stopping overnight close to OSH for an early Sunday arrival. If anyone is interested in caravning up let me know. Located in southern OH.

There is a group of RVs leaving central Ohio around 8am on Saturday, but we are heading straight to OSH.

Why spend the night close, when you can spend it at OSH? You can see the mass arrivals on Saturday, which are usually entertaining.

Any RVs flying from the Pacific Northwest (PNW) to OSH this year? If so, which initial routings from PNW crossing the mountains are most preferred? Since I need to fly via BIL (Billings, MT), I am considering two routes:
-Northern: via GEG-MLP-MSO-HLN-BZN-BIL (basically follow I-90)
-Southern: via BOI-PIH-IDA-WYS-EKS-BZN-BIL (Raynolds Pass crossing)
Any input or recommendations? Anyone have experience on either or both of these routings?
Thx-Dennis

The fun journey to OSH this year

My dad and I are planning on leaving E16 on the 21st to KMAN (Dad lives there). On the 22nd early, we leave to visit my brother in Cedar Rapids, Iowa with possible waypoints of KEMM, KTOR, KONL stopping at C17. On the 23rd or 24th we'll finish the route to OSH early in the morning which seems to be a good time to arrive due to less air traffic.

This all depends upon weather and wear (it's better to fly when feeling good and head for barn when tired) plus it's the fun along the way that's important.

If you hear "Vans Experimental 124WB", that's us! :D

Any RVs flying from the Pacific Northwest (PNW) to OSH this year? If so, which initial routings from PNW crossing the mountains are most preferred? Since I need to fly via BIL (Billings, MT), I am considering two routes:
Any input or recommendations? Anyone have experience on either or both of these routings?
Thx-Dennis

I'm not familiar with all the airport codes, but when I returned to Indiana from Eugene, OR, I flew to Boise, then Pocatello, through the pass, over to Kemmerer, and then Laramie. It was a piece of cake.

Another Group of 12s headed to OSH!

Leaving DFW around 6am on Sunday July 24th. Flight of 3.:D If someone headed up from a line drawn from DFW to OSH would like to join in send me an email and Ill coordinate. ;)

Myself, an RV7, and a kitfox plan to leave the Denver area, Rocky Mtn Metro, on either Friday the 22nd or Sat. the 23rd, depending on weather and head NE through Neb. Iowa, and into Wis. We hope to make it a one day trip but if it's two that's okay. We will be on 122.85 in route.

Planning on coming up from Alabama in my 12 on Saturday 23 July to Oshkosh. I always stop a hundred or so miles out to fuel up, unload and get my head right for the arrival. If the 12 group does the same then what airport and about when?

Dennis, am in HLN and am departing for OSH either Thurs or Fri. Terrain is no problem at 9500' from MSO direct BIL. Cheap 100LL at either Townsend (8U8) or Dearlodge (38S) then a 2 hour or so hop to either Mobridge (KMBG...mogas too) or a little further to cheaper 100LL in Aberdeen KABR.

Thx-Dennis

HXF is about 30 nm south of OSH. The have 91 octane Mogas. It's a good place for singles or groups to stop and top off before the run into Rippon-Fiske-OSH. This will give you an almost full tank for the first leg home. They do not have 91 Mogas at OSH.

Pat, when coming in from the Southwest SFY also has 91 octain Mogas. Just on the east bank of the Mississippi River.

Obvious these are just a few airports I have personally been to. You can check on this web site for more airports along your route.
http://www.flyunleaded.com/airports.php

However keep in mind a few things, just because an airport has Mogas that doesn't mean it's 91 octain, not all small airports have 24 hour credit card pumps so Sunday's could be a problem. If you see an airport that looks promising on flyunleaded try calling the airport manager to verify the octain. In the end you can always run 100LL. Good luck and have fun.;)

I'm still planning an early Saturday departure but can change to Sunday AM for weather.... Reason for Saturday is a extra day just in case of weather....

HXF is about 30 nm south of OSH. The have 91 octane Mogas. It's a good place for singles or groups to stop and top off before the run into Rippon-Fiske-OSH. This will give you an almost full tank for the first leg home.
Thanks for that info. I was thinking I should probably stop somewhere close to OSH. It's a 3 hour flight to OSH in my 12, and while I can fly 3+ hour legs I wasn't wild about the idea of joining the conga line followed by a long taxi on rough ground after that.

Anyone know about Portage (C47)? It looks like they have the new Swift 94 UL fuel. Airnav says the runways are in "fair" condition, which I've found to mean anything from "not too bad" to "you do have tundra tires, right?"

Ive been to Portage before. Good place, runways are fine. Some guys get hangars there durning the show and pick up rental cars to drive over to OSH. Nice to know they have 94 Octane. Ill use that as an alternate, 47.5 nm from OSH.;)

I have stopped in Portage twice during past trips to Oshkosh and found it was good for that final prep into approach procedure. Glad to hear they have 94 octane.

RV8 from Florida

Looking for recommendation on a stop about 100-200 miles south of Oshkosh to spend the night and make an early arrival at KOSH.

OSH arrival

In reading the Oshkosh NOTAM I see the following:
"Ensure lights are on, and all non-ADS-B equipped aircraft set transponder to Standby within 30 miles of OSH." (P. 4)

I'm flying my Skyview, ADS-B (non-2020 compliant) RV12 to OSH. Am I considered non-ADS-B equipped because I'm non-2020 compliant, and therefore should set transponder to standby?

Thanks ahead of time for replies.

As I understand it, the reason for the change in the NOTAM is because legally, there's a regulatory reason why they can't tell you to shut if off. Turn it off anyway. The amount of traffic you will see will just scare the heck out of you anyway!!!

We are taking off from 16X (Northwest of AFW) at 630am-ish Sunday with a flight of 3 RV12s.:D Our ETA at OSH is around 430pm to 5pm ish.;) Here is our route:
16X-FYV-MYJ-SFY-C47-RIPON-FISKE-OSK.
All stops have 91 Octane Mogas:eek:

Landed OSH Sunday evening about 445pmct. Very hot throughout out journey. But had a great tail wind. Planes flew well, great fun.:D Picture is at Fayetteville AR. We were able to fly from North Texas to OSH without using any 100LL. Thats Bob Kibby next to his RV12. Because of tail winds we only Stopped 3 time. Last Stop was 37nm south of OSH so we will not need to buy Fuel at the show where they only have 100LL.

5271F054-801D-4E14-8D84-D0BB3BACCC3E_zpszitfaylp.jpg

Last Stop was 37nm south of OSH so we will not need to buy Fuel at the show where they only have 100LL.

Actually they have 91 no ethanol MOGAS this year. I was their very first customer ever on Monday morning. Paid $3.37 per gallon.

Another Great day at OSH although a little hot in the afternoon. Can't forget the great Food in the area like Wendts On the Lake .:)
IMG_1706_zpsqykt9do2.jpg

And of course a light dessert.:D

IMG_1748_zpslgeezwyl.jpg

Back