What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Review (RV-9A tip, G3X, GTN, G5, etc)

gfb

Well Known Member
Getting pretty close to final draft on the panel and wanted some feedback from those of you who have done this already.

A quick review: I have been using Bill @ Up North Aviation and honestly I have never been this impressed. Bill replies to email at a staggering pace, some days we have gone through 2 or 3 drafts and multiple emails in a day! I'm used to waiting a day or two between answers from people to whom I'm paying many more AMUs. I haven't had the panel cut by Bill yet but on the fantastic customer service alone I would recommend him to anyone looking for panel work! Thanks Bill!

iedyv0zjVo2VRERoSupjPASLq0ZLuSjUjD7SHQHG0NmFrJa5d2C6bNjstriRQ5Ux-fLfxhHqFLW2DPrb5ztgL554TdCtzF-xecfmEd28Mwt9z210XBPa9bfvVqW-W__Hwqbmu6ApId8sLr37wYioClQMSoWomh4_Lj1djt9s45EMNDS9TG1l54-UhV6nlfOAfUqSx4Q8KMjbWs36o1gt7rqjR2vlZIGKgKCPBx7ds_4sFuY2z1eK-omQLltBzQI2-wJ5REB-ZKj-KmKVAQg90VX14fF5JvUTeF-kHm1N2KcEgPwgj4wwYsE4Kpuc1E5F_YxWKFDkodS82zOBEfefaQJDiv06FB80kQxleXnh7UldJp4rfOKntIuOBqJEs1EtzM6ZoG9BF7G2GCOcUHhg3_RX4aQIhmruNI9MOI23oVITtpBY8_1jeLrIHizfiq9kWxhhGdUEbgIjMA8LYXNJmGSV3xY7XiRSAV2YDA4wR8fWEy0YWwvjRsAnuZkfqn1h5WFxpIhsLnSzAATDaVjgvE44H7MVPz32R0Ih5JeAoalRObxaGpyboy4hlG5E7sQEuFQVStMU5CfjRCuMEfxUU8iIhK4dlUw=w992-h318-no

Getting pretty close to final draft on the panel and wanted some feedback from those of you who have done this already.

A quick review: I have been using Bill @ Up North Aviation and honestly I have never been this impressed. Bill replies to email at a staggering pace, some days we have gone through 2 or 3 drafts and multiple emails in a day! I'm used to waiting a day or two between answers from people to whom I'm paying many more AMUs. I haven't had the panel cut by Bill yet but on the fantastic customer service alone I would recommend him to anyone looking for panel work! Thanks Bill!

iedyv0zjVo2VRERoSupjPASLq0ZLuSjUjD7SHQHG0NmFrJa5d2C6bNjstriRQ5Ux-fLfxhHqFLW2DPrb5ztgL554TdCtzF-xecfmEd28Mwt9z210XBPa9bfvVqW-W__Hwqbmu6ApId8sLr37wYioClQMSoWomh4_Lj1djt9s45EMNDS9TG1l54-UhV6nlfOAfUqSx4Q8KMjbWs36o1gt7rqjR2vlZIGKgKCPBx7ds_4sFuY2z1eK-omQLltBzQI2-wJ5REB-ZKj-KmKVAQg90VX14fF5JvUTeF-kHm1N2KcEgPwgj4wwYsE4Kpuc1E5F_YxWKFDkodS82zOBEfefaQJDiv06FB80kQxleXnh7UldJp4rfOKntIuOBqJEs1EtzM6ZoG9BF7G2GCOcUHhg3_RX4aQIhmruNI9MOI23oVITtpBY8_1jeLrIHizfiq9kWxhhGdUEbgIjMA8LYXNJmGSV3xY7XiRSAV2YDA4wR8fWEy0YWwvjRsAnuZkfqn1h5WFxpIhsLnSzAATDaVjgvE44H7MVPz32R0Ih5JeAoalRObxaGpyboy4hlG5E7sQEuFQVStMU5CfjRCuMEfxUU8iIhK4dlUw=w992-h318-no

One caution is to ensure that the top left corner of the G5 does not try to use the same space as the round tube that is part of the tipup frame that ends up overlapping aft of the panel. Also remember the ribs that attach the panel to the subpanel. They can be moved around with some work but I would not leave them out.... Also ensure you plan on space for the radio stack rails you will need to attach the trays to.

Last edited:
I'd consider ditching most of the circuit breakers and using fuses instead. That would give you a little more panel space and save some $$$. If you aren't using the standard vans panel you could have them cut a slightly taller panel to give you a little more room too.

I'll chime in on Brian's comment about the mounting pieces. Make sure all of those interfaces to your panel are known. I still have one rib that I'm playing with to get it attached.

GFB,
A couple of comments. I agree with Rapid on the fuses. They can be hidden behind the panel to clean things up. I think you need more separation on the lower row of toggles. Sorting by use. You should not need annunciation lights as the GDU has those. I have found the audio jack is better to the far-far left as I am the one changing channels. You also don't want a cord run from where it is now. Most things aren't labled so can't make many more comments. Make sure to install a To/Go button. Stein sells a nice little red one.
On you wiring diagram, I would lighten the E-Buss and there are three GTN connections.
Have fun. This was one of the most enjoyable parts of the build.
Poor picture and not a perfect panel but I like it.
30lyys3.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty good, and you've got lotsa good comments already.

You will probably spend lots of time in the hangar programming and learning the G3X (I'm up to about 15 hours or so by now, and more to come). I recommend wiring in a Genius power supply to the battery both for charging and for ground use. And I took the Genius along on the last trip for additional reprogramming.

You might also consider circuit breakers for the GTN and G3X screens so that you can restart them (for programming) without restarting all of the avionics. BTW, I wired my panel without an avionics master switch.

Also, if you have an all-electric airplane with no backup batteries except in the G5, you might consider circuit breakers so that you can easily reduce current draw in case of an electrical problem.

Don't forget that the TOGA button should be double pole so it can go to both the G3X and the GTN. And don't forget autopilot disconnect.

My plane came with elevator trim on a rocker above the throttle, and that's a handy way to have one switch work for both seats.

And if you have an essential bus, I'd put the elevator trim on it (if yours is electric).

Looking good!

Ed

You might also consider circuit breakers for the GTN and G3X screens so that you can restart them (for programming) without restarting all of the avionics.

FYI, this can be done with a hotkey combination on the G3X. No power cycle required.

NRST, MENU and BACK at the same time reboots the screens.

Last edited:
I can't tell what switches you're putting where, but I wouldn't put switches directly underneath the EFIS or in anywhere else that you might bump something critical in turbulence while trying to do something else. I accidentally killed the avionics master one day while trying to do something on the Skyview in turbulence.

Thanks! What about rebooting the GTNxxx?

Ed

Not sure on that one. I have a VPX so I can easily isolate power to just one device.

There may be a safety reason why one would not want a hotkey to reboot a certified IFR navigator but I am not sure.

Back