What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

damaged f-412 bulkhead

fran

the tailwheel spring bar contacted and damaged the f-412 bulkhead, ( while moving it disassembled in a uhaul). has anyone repaired that bulkhead or should it be replaced?
Can it be purchased from Vans?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Kind of hard to help you determine if you can fix it if we don't know what it looks like. Can you post a pic? I realize this is your first post and may not know how to do that but it would help.

Vans does sell that part.

BTW, welcome to VAF (take that Mike).

IMG_1948-1.JPG

IMG_1947-1.JPG

Thanks, here's my attempt to attach 3 pics.

If this doesn't work I'll try again.

That appears to happen quite often while transporting with the tail feathers removed. I would remove and replace the damaged parts.

That happen because the bolts that hold the tail wheel assembly were not installed through the bulkhead. Very comon issue unfortunately. That bulkhead will need to be replaced. I would also check the next bulkhead too as that one also gets damaged most of the times with this type of issue. If it is just that bulkhead. It is not a hard fix. Good luck. If you dont know how to do it. Find an EAA chapter close to you or maybe askanother Rv builder for help.

Happens...

That happen because the bolts that hold the tail wheel assembly were not installed through the bulkhead. Very comon issue unfortunately. That bulkhead will need to be replaced. I would also check the next bulkhead too as that one also gets damaged most of the times with this type of issue. If it is just that bulkhead. It is not a hard fix. Good luck. If you dont know how to do it. Find an EAA chapter close to you or maybe askanother Rv builder for help.

Yep, what these guys said.
From a previous transport of a plane I built, which had a g-meter, I was shocked that it read over 4 g's during the trailering process. I may have happened when I slowly drove over a railroad crossing.
I had it secured with ratcheting truck straps, and thought that should do it.
I think it can be more rough back there than we realize.

Daddyman

Ok, thanks for all the information.
I'm going to replace it. Can I get that bulkhead from Vans? I wasn't able to find it on my initial search of the site.

my plans are at the airport, but isn't the f-412 doubled up, front side and back so he will need 2?

bob burns

Another Option

To replace the bulk heads is a relatively easy job (speaking from experience) The only downside is having to repaint rivets. Another option is to cut 2 exact sized pieces of .032 or .040 insets to whatever the original thickness of the bulk heads are. Double both sides making sure to flush rivet the aft side and not interfere with the weldament with misplaced rivets. Steve

Addendum to previousl

Spacers of equal thickness between the two doublers on the bottom bolt hole to fill the gap left by missing aluminum.

F412 and maybe F411?

Indeed, the F412 bulkhead is doubled up. One flange faces forward, and the other aft. You will need 2. As recommended previously, check the next bulkhead forward as well. (F411). The 411 is also 2 bulkheads back to back. I have made this repair for another guy, and it's not that bad. If you just had the mount attached to the bulkheads with clecos, and not bolts, there is a good chance that you elongated the holes on the F411 bulkhead as well. (It tries to pull the clecos through) Look closely.

Not a huge deal, you can fix it.

GB

thanks AX-O for the help in ordering. I have it removed and the F-411 ahead of it is ok.
Thanks to everyone else for the advice/info, it's exactly what I needed.

Here's a link to my dropbox pics of the removed bulkhead.

https://www.dropbox.com/l/sh/tvQ0P9rXTjIGCSI62kczon

I'm going to order 2 ea F-411 and proceed with the installation.

I'm new to this forum, and the RV, and so am thankful for all your responses/input, it's very helpful.

Thanks again.

useful little addition

When you do the replacement you might want to put a couple of countersunk rivets through the newly assembled F-412 and through the rear flange of the weldment, which I think is what the RV-8 plans now call out. That way if you (or any future owner) at any point in the future, are moving the plane without the tail feathers attached and have forgotten the bolts you won't damage the bulkhead again.

Lots of folk are unaware of this problem until it happens. I moved my RV-8 to the airfield and got away with it. I wasn't so lucky with the RV-4 I had shipped from Idaho. Grrr! I guess this is why the RV-8 plans have been amended.

Chris

Bulkhead replaced

Happy New Year everyone.
Just to follow up after all the advice and recommendations I received when I inquired about my bulkhead that was damaged. I removed/replaced it, all went well.

I've been steadily reassembling the plane. I've installed the vertical, horizontal, rudder and elevators. Elevator trim is connected/rigged. Push pull tube is intalled up to the cabin.

Next the wings will go on. Tanks are off and I'm repairing leaks around the sender and accesss panel. I plan to install wings then tanks after.
Thanks for the help.

Here's a link to pics of the new bulkhead.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z82742ypcklt3wr/AADVxx-pjbU0ZjWv161ZDbcwa?dl=0

Back