What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon EFI

Ted Farmin

Well Known Member
Has anyone out there been using the Dynon flight instrument and able to give a report on seeing in the sun, dependability, and whether they would buy one again.
Ted

I've been flying with my Dynon for almost 2 years and I love it. It is very readable from directly in front of it even in direct sun. As with most LCD displays it gets more difficult to see from the side. I wouldn't trade it for the new D10A because of the transponder issue. The D10A will only work with serial transponders. If you have a transponder that uses gray code (which most do), you get to buy an additional adapter.
Mel...DAR

Dyno EFIS

Ted Farmin said:
Has anyone out there been using the Dynon flight instrument and able to give a report on seeing in the sun, dependability, and whether they would buy one again.
Ted
Although I don't have first hand experiance with the dynon I have been told that dynon gave money back to some folks because of a gyro problem. Cnieseln at aveo said this. Aveo also makes an EFIS that is reportedly better. Also cheaper too. They will be at Oshkosh later this year and now have full color.
Lee

Although I don't have first hand experiance with the dynon I have been told that dynon gave money back to some folks because of a gyro problem. Cnieseln at aveo said this. Aveo also makes an EFIS that is reportedly better.

I think we would be well served to be very suspicious of adverse product opinions from competitors who have a "reportedly" better product and offer second and third hand reports of their competitor's business practices.

It has been my observation from hanging around the experimental EFIS and autopilot scene for many years that the manufacturers with integrity and capable equipment have found no need to criticize the products and representatives of competing manufacturers. This is the first I have heard of Dynon refunding money so I have no idea if that is a true statement.

I have been flying a Dynon (and have experience with a "beta" version of another brand of EFIS) for a couple of years and have found the Dynon team to be an honest and ethical group. They sat on their EFIS for a year and half while working out some bugs and did not release the unit prematurely as has been the case with at least one other company. Field history and reports will bear out the integrity of the Dynon and the company has promptly addressed some minor issues that arose as substantial numbers of units were installed.

Sam Buchanan
http://thervjournal.com

Dynon experience

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I love my Dynon EFIS. The company support was excellent, even when I asked bone-head questions.

If you are using ANY electronic flight instrumentation, you would do well to have a mechanical AI, altimeter, and compass for backup. Every now and then, electrical stuff goes belly up. That old fashioned stuff still works.

As far as sunlight readable goes... when sunshine is beating down on the panel, my eyes are outside the cockpit looking for traffic or enjoying the view.

Mark

Aveotech vs Dynon

Hundreds of Dynon's flying; I have Dynon, customer service top notch, very happy, great value.

Aveotech has color brochure of something, number sold? (ZERO)

Aveotech's main line of instruments sold up till now look like light weight single instruments with black /grey LCD display, in plastic cases, marketed for ultra light aircraft, but they do have a color brochure of a product to come on their eb site? Their new product is an EFIS like color display with features that looks like a combo between Dynon and Blue mountain. It is not clear what this EFIS is, other than it is in the brochure stage, no product name, price and inconsistent pictures,except "COMING SOON".

Not clear if this is their product or something they have on their site to market. They also sell or market ultra light planes. Clearly this will be better than the Dynon, GRT and BMA put together for 1/3rd of the price, when they actually make one and sell them. :eek:

Just kidding, Love my Dynon, fantastic value and utility is awesome bang for the bucks. Most important several years of field service with good results. Compaired to a color brochure that is priceless. :D Cheers George

Back