What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Squatters! They are fowl and in the cowl.

FORANE

Well Known Member
Tis' that time of year...

Use of cowl plugs like these:
2ryj5mo.jpg

Prevents a mess like this:
2cnjk1z.jpg

But doesn't help prevent this:
27y3hba.jpg

or it recurring after 48 hours like this:
15rkrva.jpg

Due to an open door like this:
2ilopw4.jpg

So, how do you guys prevent the birds from doing this? Better accommodations for the RV are not available - the RV lives in a bird sanctuary for now.

I have heard some stuff rags up in that lower cowl exit area, but that does not sound like something I would like to do. I have heard I might use chicken wire in that area but I am concerned it might erode surrounding components.

Any suggestions?

How about some kind of cloth/canvas cover that fits under the cowl, and closes off the lower area??

Imaging something like a canopy cover, but for the bottom of the cowl.

How about some kind of cloth/canvas cover that fits under the cowl, and closes off the lower area??

Imaging something like a canopy cover, but for the bottom of the cowl.

I thought about that. In the problem hangar we always use a canopy cover.
Perhaps I should submit this idea to Anti-splat aero.

Edit, I have found the solution. This is exactly what I need:
http://www.vansairforce.net/vetterman/subcowl2.jpg
Now who makes it? Wonder if it creates cooling issues.

Last edited:
I thought about that. In the problem hangar we always use a canopy cover.
Perhaps I should submit this idea to Anti-splat aero.

Edit, I have found the solution. This is exactly what I need:
http://www.vansairforce.net/vetterman/subcowl2.jpg
Now who makes it? Wonder if it creates cooling issues.

Go check out vettermans exhaust. At the bottom of the main page is a article where he designed that system. Don't see it for sale though.

Fly often!

I am parked outside. Once between jobs I haven't flown for about a week or so. When I finally got to the airport and started preflight I noticed bird's poop under the airplane. Investigated further and saw some grass still wet sticking out by exhaust.

Opened up the cowling and here we go. Robins started building up but something scared them and they never finished. It was quite rainy those days :D

Back