What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Direct To Aviation Closing

dav1111

Well Known Member
For those who have not heard, Direct To Aviation D2A has closed there doors and many issues are up in the air about the Chelton Experiamental Glass Systems. Lots of posting going on on the Matronics RV-10 list. The following is the official notice:

CHELTON FLIGHT SYSTEMS

AUTHORIZED INFORMATION RELEASE REGARDING

Direct 2 Avionics

<> </>

December 22, 2006

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS THE ONLY EXPLANATION THAT CHELTON HAS
AUTHORIZED RELATING TO DIRECT 2 AVIONICS SITUATION BY ANY EMPLOYEE OF
CHELTON. THIS EXPLANATION IS THE ONLY EXPLANATION YOU ARE AUTHORIZED TO
PROVIDE ABOUT DIRECT 2 AVIONICS, ITS OWNERS OR EMPLOYEES, AND BUSINESS
RELATIONSHIP WITH CHELTON. ANY OTHER STATEMENT, SPECULATION, GOSSIP OR
RUMOR REGARDING DIRECT 2 AVONICS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

<></>

STATEMENT:

To Whom It May Concern:

By now you have probably heard that DIRECT 2 AVIONICS
("D2A") had to close its business. Like you, we at Chelton Flight
Systems were disappointed and concerned that D2A felt it had to take
this action.

D2A was an authorized, independently-owned distributor for Chelton.
Chelton has no ownership or other relationship with D2A. Chelton has
received various inquiries from persons who have alleged that they were
told by D2A that parts for which they claimed to have paid D2A were
"back ordered." Chelton currently has no purchase orders from D2A and
there are no "back orders" to be filled. Chelton has also suspended
taking any further purchase orders from D2A and has suspended D2A's
status as an authorized distributor.

Chelton regrets any inconvenience or financial loss the situation with
D2A may have caused you.

Last edited:
There will likely be more

Too many players in the better than Lyc engine/EFIS/Eng Mon/gee whiz ignition systems biz. I'd especially be cautious with companies reputed to have poor customer service, claims that can't be verified or that omit the downside, and especially those new to the experimental market, etc..

D2A CLOSING

Grand Rapids has always had a policy of don't send money until we tell you we are ready to ship. If every company had that policy and like GRT would take your credit card there would never be a problem.

can't say I'm surprised

There was a thread here a few months ago about Direct To Avionics, in which I had expressed my dissatisfaction with the responsiveness and customer service at Direct To Avionics. Other posters mentioned good experiences, but mine was not.

I hope there aren't customers who got burned. Hopefully, it's not as bad as the NSI stories. My experiences withy Blue Mountain, Grand Rapids, and Dynon have been positive and, as another poster mentioned, when a company doesn't charge until product is shipped, it's better and safer for all.

brian

Bummer!

Really a bummer. I've thought that the Chelton EFIS was a very good system, particularly with the certified software. The combination of synthetic vision, HITS, GPS approaches, autopilot coupling and the use of an external AHRS and ADC was, IMHO, unbeatable. Using the external sensors is key because you can use proven off-the-shelf parts, e.g., the TSOed Crossbow AHRS500, which has proven very reliable. Yes, they had problems using the Crossbow NAV425, and this cost them.

This puts a pretty big hole in the market between GRT / BMA / Dynon / AFS / etc. and Garmin.

I didn't get the inpression that Chelton's experimental EFIS systems are going away - just that D2A won't be the one selling them.

Last edited:
Chelton EFIS w/o D2A

Matt is correct, just D2A has gone away. Systems and support remain with Chelton. Below is an e-mail I got this morning from Chelton.

<quote>
Dear Pat,
By now you have probably heard that DIRECT 2 AVIONICS (?D2A?) had to close its business. Like you, we at Chelton Flight Systems were disappointed and concerned that D2A felt it had to take this action.

D2A was an authorized, independently-owned distributor for Chelton. Chelton has no ownership or other relationship with D2A. Chelton has received various inquiries from persons who have alleged that they were told by D2A that parts for which they claimed to have paid D2A were ?back ordered.? Chelton currently has no purchase orders from D2A and there are no ?back orders? to be filled. Chelton has also suspended taking any further purchase orders from D2A and has suspended D2A?s status as an authorized distributor.

Chelton regrets any inconvenience or financial loss the situation with D2A may have caused you.

Chelton Flight Systems is supporting all new orders and installed systems.

Bruce D. Bunevich
Vice President - Sales and Marketing
Chelton Flight Systems
1109 Main Street
Suite 560
Boise, Idaho 83702 USA
Office: +1 208.389.9959
Mobile: +1 208.340.9945

Pat Garboden

Crossbow

On behalf of Crossbow:

Any D2A customers who have a Crossbow NAV425EX AHRS that was not upgraded by D2A are welcome to take advantage of our free upgrade program. This program has been available from Crossbow since April 2006.

Information about the upgrade program can be found at:
http://www.xbow.com/General_info/Info_pdf_files/AHRS425_Upgrade_Program.pdf
and at:http://www.xbow.com/General_info/Info_pdf_files/D2A_Press_Release.pdf

Any questions, please contact us.

Thanks,

Bill Butler
Sr. Director, Worldwide Sales, Inertial Systems
Crossbow Technology, Inc.
(408) 965-3305
[email protected]

Please correct me if I am wrong here...

As I understand it.

1. Chelton choose D2 as it only distrubuter for the non-certified equipment.
2. D2 sold through dealers like Stienair, PAC, etc.
3. The equipment dealers took money from customers and sent it to D2.
4. D2 didn't order equipment from Chelton.

Chelton may not be leaglely responsible for D2, but this is going to hurt them.
Are then now going to take orders from customers? Will they be working through dealer that just got burned by D2?

Kent

Crossbow Upgrade

Mr. Butler,
I appreciate the reminder of the free upgrade to the Crossbow NAV425ES-200, which has been available since April of 2006.

The upgrade letter also states that this is available only thru December of 2006. I would anticipate that *some* holders of the Crossbow system had not sent this back for the free upgrade at Crossbow in anticipation of having this system exchanged to the Pinpoint Inertial systemas per D2A instructions and promises.

Here we are, December 28, 2006. Many holders of the Chelton Sport system, with Crossbow systems awaiting exchange to Pinpoint, may not be aware of D2A's fate and now only have two days to send in their Crossbow for upgrade? I hope Crossbow is flexible to the extent that holders of Crossbow are not out in the cold on the upgrade as a result of D2A going out of business and time has expired to upgrade. That would be another unfortunate business mistake. Any chance of an extention on the upgrade and place this in writing for purchasers of this system?

Also, I am unable to locate information on the Xbow.com web page on the specific model of NAV425ES-200. Is there a reason for this?

Thanks for your attention to this detail and our understanding of frustration during these time of uncertainty.

Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO.

Thank You Crossbow

Thank you Crossbow and Mr. Butler for the press release 12-28-06 stating the upgrade on the NAV425ES-200 has been extended to June 29, 2007.

In my previous post, I had only opened the first press release. We appreciate Crossbow working with D2A customers.

Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO

Anyone that is owed money by these guys had better move fast and sue them before any seizable assets are gone...

Kirk's Corvette

FYI.
The phone number listed on EBAY for Kirk Hammersmith is to the D2A office. It is the answering machine at D2A.

Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO

Crossbow Support of D2A Customers

On behalf of Crossbow:

Yes the upgrade program has been extended until June 29, 2007. It was extended due to the D2A situation.

In addition to the free upgrade program, Crossbow will be working with the D2A dealers listed on the D2A website to provide additional support including very deeply discounted pricing on new NAV425EX's (for those that are now without one), advice on GPS antenna options, and potentially some way for D2A customers that want an FAA certified AHRS500GA product.

If anyone has a NAV425EX and are not sure if it should be upgraded or not, please contact Crossbow Technical Support at (408) 965-3300 with their serial number and we'll verify what revision it is.

Thanks,
Bill Butler
Sr. Director, Worldwide Sales, Inertial Products
Crossbow Technology
(408) 965-3305
[email protected]

ECU ROOM (Experimental Chelton Users)

ECU ROOM (Experimental Chelton Users)

A private password protected online meeting place has been created for Experimental Chelton EFIS system buyers, users and industry insiders. I am the owner of a flying Experimental Aircraft with the Chelton system and I am very happy with the system. This is a very technical and extremely useful system. I felt we are long overdue for our own online area to come together and share our experiences and knowledge. This site is not sponsored by any business organization and is strictly a user created grass roots online community.

I think you will find software conducive to idea and knowledge trading. This will be a place where we can unite no matter what aircraft you fly. You will also find it very easy to upload your digital photos. So show us your favorite screen shots or photos of that install question.

All users will be anonymous when they come in unless they chose not to be on their own accord. I will need your Email address to send you a link. You can list it here (I will check now and then) or email me at [email protected]

Back