What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weak Reception - MGL v10

tectweaker

Well Known Member
I just installed a used MGL v10 radio in my plane. I also installed a new antenna - red tail bent comm with new wiring.

I am having an issue with reception. It sounds very weak and faint and in distance. Wiring harness was made by MGL and have been double checked. Different antennas have the same result.

The radio volume itself is pretty loud and PTT and microphone seems to be working (need to check it still).

Any ideas as to what to look for? This is without engine running and I don't hear any static etc.

MGL

I am pretty sure that Matt of MGL is either flying to S&F or there already . Give him a call a few days after S&F if you don't get it cleared up by then. You might be able to reach him at S&F if the number is a cell. He's a great technician and will help you gladly.

i have had two cases of "reception problem" where audio was weak. In both cases it turned out to be a poor ground plane for my antenna.

The first time, I made sure to clean the paint and primer away from the inside of the fuselage where the antenna thru-bolts mounted. This was better.

The next time it occurred, I added a short pigtail from one of the antenna mounting bolts to a good grounding location on the frame.

Most builders are having good luck with the "bent whip" style antenna on the belly. For whatever reason, I always had measurably better results with the non-bent variety.

Do you have a local RF person? I was fortunate to get connected to a local HAM operator who had the necessary signal testing equipment. He quickly narrowed down my issues.

v10

I have a v10 and have loved it for 5 years. Had one issue and MGL was great about it.

I would suggest if used, look in the manual and reset all to to default settings to ensure something isnt goofy. Eg...there are a ton of settings for vogad, sidetone etcetc. All greek to me. But if all back to factory defaults, then ensure ground good and if still no joy call MGL.

NOTE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anyone reading this, if you are considering a mgl comm please pm me. I no longer recommend them and am happy to discuss my experience.

Last edited:
Antenna ground

I was talking with an avionics guy who was fixing the same type of issue. He had found a broken shield wire leading to the antenna.

Back