What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron bracket.. Whoops

Hey guys,

Just when you think... That won't happen to me! I countersunk the wrong side of the bracket. It looks thick enough to handle a 'double countersink' so I did the other side as well and built on...

What do you think? Airworthy or rebuild?

IMG_1271.jpg

The rivets bent slightly on squeezing. I was considering giving them another hit with the bucking bar to 'fill' the sink a little better.

Thoughts?

Dan

Easy mistake, I remember this part saying to my self, this could be put together 51 different ways..........The aileron bracket swing past these, maybe see if there would be enough room for the shop head on the wrong side? I would buy a new part and make it right, don't want flight controls hanging up.

It's a photo of the shop head sitting in a countersink. I drilled them out, countersunk the correct side, then set in the correct direction.

Just wondering what others thought. These are pretty thick brackets. Surely there is enough meat left in the sandwich. I'm more concerned about shop heads sitting in a countersink.

I did that deliberately and went for double-flush on those rivets. IIRC there are one or two places on the -6 where you have to do that; that may not be true on the -7. Anyway, it is an accepted practice.

As long as you didn't countersink the mating faces you're fine.

Last edited:
Interference

I did that deliberately and went for double-flush on those rivets. IIRC there are one or two places on the -6 where you have to do that; that may not be true on the -7. Anyway, it is an accepted practice.

As long as you didn't countersink the mating faces you're fine.

I did one on each. There's one shop head that can interfere on the outboard hinge on the 7. A search will confirm. Others have discovered it too. It was so close, I removed the rivet, countersink the oposite side and double flush set.

I would bang them in a little deeper if they haven't work hardened too much..... fill the countersink a little more. Like you said - build on!

I did the same thing. Vans recommended drilling out and double flush riveting as others have. It gives the aileron more clearance also.

Back