Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-08-2016, 10:01 AM

Default Ford edis with megajolt

Hi guys,

Not specific to RV's but looking on the net your group is clearly the most active about the subject !!

I am rebuilding an aircraft with a Continental O-300 6 cylinder engine and will be using dual Ford edis system managed by 2 programable Megajolt boxes.

I have not found much about people using this system on aircraft but it sure make sense to me !!

You have a 10 x 10 window of RPM and load to play with and the possibility to have 2 different map swithable on the fly.

Here is the link to the maker: https://www.autosportlabs.net/MegaJolt_Lite_Jr.

And a picture of my ignition map while running the whole system spinning the trigger wheel with and holding the sensor in the toolpost on my lathe:

It seems to be very accurate with a timing light on the chuck and very tolerant to sensor to Wheel clearance, up to 1/4 inch no problem and no shift in timing.

Hope you like it and open to comments

Frank

Last edited by Frank from Quebec : 03-08-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!

Frank, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

The Ford/Megajolt thing is very promising, looking forward to seeing your setup.
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 03-08-2016, 10:56 AM

Smile Megajolt

I think your on to something here Frank keep us posted.
Bob
Old 03-08-2016, 01:04 PM

We're flying two EDIS systems locally, on an RV-8 and a Mustang II.

The Mustang's parallel valve 360 is triggered with a toothed wheel behind the ring gear, and the standard Ford sensor. I'm running an IO-390 with a mag hole trigger based on an ND reluctor, which is conceptually similar to an Electroair trigger. Both aircraft retain one magneto for now, a conservative approach to testing a new ignition system, but so far it looks like both of us will go dual eventually...already built/bought the needed parts. There are a few others following along.

A very complete EDIS/Megajolt article can be found in the British LAA magazine, August 2011. Author's name is Steve Brown. Steve apparently did quite a lot of bench testing per English homebuilding rules. I'll write something for Kitplanes in due course.

Reluctor-based systems are old tech, but work fine. Ford has sold millions of EDIS ignition units worldwide, in 4, 6, and 8 cylinder versions. They're considered very reliable, and operate independently, delivering spark at 10 BTDC if the timing computer goes on the fritz. The EDIS module can be mounted on the hot side of the firewall. However, it's just as easy to put it inside the airplane, with the Megajolt control computer, where it can live a life of luxury. In that case, there are no electronics mounted firewall forward, just the pickups (a magnet and some wire) and the coils (iron and some wire).

A late model Ford EDIS coil pack will look extremely familiar to P-mag owners. I elected to use an earlier style, just because it incorporates positive terminal retention.

I've discussed aircraft use with Brent Picasso at Autosport, who produces the little Megajolt controller. Brent is ok with experimental use, as long as everyone understands the controller was not designed or intended specifically for aircraft. The intended use is converting points-equipped fun cars to EI.

The components, leveraged as they are from automotive production numbers, are downright cheap when priced in AMU's (Aircraft Monetary Units). One of our intrepid VAF'ers bought all the Ford components for two complete ignitions at the local wrecking yard; the bill was $60. You can also buy everything new if you wish, from the usual auto parts sources. Autosport's Megajolt control units are currently $169 each, but Brent has been known to put them on sale. You'll need a laptop for setup. The software is dirt simple.

I had not intended to say much here until flying 50 hours or so; right now I'm at about 10. So, no concrete endorsement yet, although the system is working well. If you want to know more, start by downloading the Megajolt installation and operating files at:

https://www.autosportlabs.com/produc...jolt-ignition/

Like everything else in EAB these days, some builders will prefer to buy a complete kit with detailed instructions, while others will happily build whatever they want. I don't expect EDIS installations to put a dent in sales at SDS, Lightspeed, or Electroair, but it certainly appears to be a viable alternative for the DIY-minded.

Last edited by DanH : 03-09-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:22 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
We're flying two EDIS systems locally, on an RV-8 and a Mustang II.

Glad you finally came out of the closet Dan
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 03-08-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Glad you finally came out of the closet Dan
Yeah, yeah...

Hey, I'm out before the P-mag for a 6-cylinder, and you can afford it on a poor old fireman's pension
Old 03-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post

Hey, I'm out before the P-mag for a 6-cylinder,
Man, am I glad I didnt have a mouth full of coffee when I read that
EAA 512

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Old 03-08-2016, 06:15 PM

YAY!
I'd been looking into that too.
I'll admit, I went Pmag for quick results when a mag went bad, but I'm still interested.
RV-8 N89SE first flight 12/26/2013
Yak55M, and the wife has an RV-4
There is nothing-absolute nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing around with Aeroplanes
(with apologies to Ratty)
Old 03-09-2016, 01:23 AM

Just doing a little background research on the web, and MegaSquirt keeps coming up.

What the difference between MegaSquirt and MegaJolt?

Thanks,
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2017 Donation+ Sent
Old 03-09-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHunt View Post
Just doing a little background research on the web, and MegaSquirt keeps coming up. What the difference between MegaSquirt and MegaJolt?
Simple answer: Same family tree, different branches. MegaSquirt started as an open source DIY fuel injection for everyone. At some point ignition control entered the picture as a Megasquirt function, then branched into the idea of a simple "ignition only" controller. Ultimately Autosport's principals put such a unit into production, currently known as the Megajolt/E.

Plenty of good EDIS information can be found on various Megasquirt websites (and some bad; this is, after all, the web). Be aware that Megasquirt will run a variety of different ignition schemes in addition to EDIS, as well as fuel injection.

Autosport's Megajolt/E is EDIS only.

BTW, before someone asks, no, I am not going into the ignition business. Regular readers know I do support all kinds of DIY efforts, as long as it doesn't compromise safety. Here I think the hardware/software is robust enough to fly, so the wild cards are (1) fabrication skill, and (2) installation details like wire routing, connector selection, and software settings. If you have the skills, go for it. If you don't, there is no shame in buying a CPI kit from Ross at SDS: http://www.sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Last edited by DanH : 03-09-2016 at 06:44 AM.