What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to get bulk Alodine

jibby212

Well Known Member
I just received my empennage for my RV 7. I live in Florida close to the water and have experienced the extreme corrosive effects of the salt water. I plan on using alodine on everything including skins. I have just bugun my research but I am sure someone knows of a good place to get alodine in powdered form for a good price.

Email sent. Results are the reward of research.

Edit, For the record: Two companies make a chromate conversion coating material for aluminum, MacDermid and Henkel. McDermid calls it Iridite and has different formulations, some without chromium and some without color. I like the nasty, gold looking product. A 10 lb pail is the smallest quantity sold. Getting any product close to the source will lower the markups. Internet searching provided me with the highest prices. Shipping is an issue, but UPS is qualified and willing, you will pay. Do your homework, get the technical sheets and read the SDS/MSDS. It is an ugly looking powder and makes some dust. ALWAYS Wear a very good respirator, gloves and long sleeves when handling. Take a shower and wash your clothes after dividing up the batch. 1.5 oz/gal of distilled water makes a good solution. 10# is a lot of gallons. Go figure it.

Now - go gather that information, and be fully aware of the precautions before you pick up the phone. Lets be careful out there.

Last edited:
macdermid

I just contacted MacDermid and they said the closest dealer to me is in Miami at $23 per pound, plus $7 per pound surcharge, sold in 10 lb increments.. If you're interested in splitting an order, I'm going to be in Miami after SnF so ill pick some up

Actually, ignore me. I have no idea what I am doing for primer yet....so many options.

You should consider getting at least get a pound. Somewhere along the line a gallon of shipped premixed alodine will cost more than that. This way you can make several gallons. Just read the data sheet and be safe.

Iridite

You have plenty of time to decide, just shoot me a pm sometime next month if you're interested. Thanks

If you're on the fence about alodine, something to consider. A friend who lives near the FL coast made test samples of 2024 with no coating, alodine only, alodine/primer, primer only, etc, and dipped all in a bucket of sea water every few days for many months, leaving the samples outdoors near the bucket the rest of the time. The alodined sample survived as well as every other protection method. He has built a -6A & -9A, & alodined interior parts & then sprayed the interior (rudder, stabilizers, etc) with Boelube. He's a retired engineer for an aerospace corp, & I trust his opinions.

Alodine is a bit of a pain to do, but the process weighs effectively nothing when applied to the parts. If weight is a concern...

Charlie

If you're on the fence about alodine, something to consider. A friend who lives near the FL coast made test samples of 2024 with no coating, alodine only, alodine/primer, primer only, etc, and dipped all in a bucket of sea water every few days for many months, leaving the samples outdoors near the bucket the rest of the time. The alodined sample survived as well as every other protection method. He has built a -6A & -9A, & alodined interior parts & then sprayed the interior (rudder, stabilizers, etc) with Boelube. He's a retired engineer for an aerospace corp, & I trust his opinions.

Alodine is a bit of a pain to do, but the process weighs effectively nothing when applied to the parts. If weight is a concern...

Charlie

Good information consistent with DoD testing. On a practical matter, after trying to spray small fabricated clips, antenna doublers, and such, alodine was found to be much quicker and less laborious than priming.

Back