What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Dipstick Tube Question

Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Anybody got any advice on how to deal with an oil filler/dipstick tube that is too long? On my RV-4 it looks as if the dipstick tube will be about two inches too long when I put the top cowling on. In other words, the cowling will not lay where it is supposed to because the filler tube gets in the way.

If anyone has a place to order a shorter one from, or a solution for this, let me know.

Thanks,

Rick

On mine, I cut a chunk out of it so the two remaining pieces would add up to the right length. Then I used a PVC plumbing coupling to splice the halves. None of the plumbing "plastic" adhesives worked - I tried several and after 10 or 20 hours, each adhesive failed.

In the end, I cleaned everything up, roughed up the pieces, and prosealed everything. Then I drilled holes and used internally threaded short screws to pin everything together.

I've got 350 or so hours on this setup with no problems.

You might also give Mahlon Russell a call at Mattituck - he can probably tell you exactly what tube and stick you need, and you can then decie to buy or modify...

Paul

Rick-
Lycoming parts catalogs offer a regular, long, and short dip stick option for 320s and 360s. There's about a 2 inch step from one to the next. There should still be a P/N on the tube and stick that you can reference and then order the next step down. Costs about $30 for a new set, and way easier than modifying. Any Lycoming parts supplier can get you what you need.

Dave

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the advice. Dave, I think I'll go with your advice and just order a new one. I have a Lycoming engine manual that should be showing up soon so I'll go that route.

One more question

Does anyone have the part number for the oil tube that is the next step down from a part number 75767? That's the one I have now and need one that is about two inches shorter. My normal internet search didn't turn up anything yet - I found the parts but it doesn't tell what the length is.

And I'm guessing I'll need another dipstick as well, so if you have that part number too . . .

Thanks . . .

Now I see why the last 10% takes 90% of the time :mad:

Rick, I'd second Paul's suggestion about calling Mattituck. In their workshop they mentioned they got the right tubes for -4's and -8s. As for dipstick - you may be able to re-use yours.. probably would just need to be trimmed a bit...

My P/C (O-360) shows p/n 75735 as "Tube, Oil level gage, short". 75767 is listed as "intermediate" and 75736 is listed as "long"

What we use on an RV-4 or 8 is:
1ea 75735 dipstick tube
1ea AEL-22780 dipstick tube
1ea AEL14860 dipstick shortened 4.5 inches
2ea 72059 gaskets.
Fits good!
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Thanks!

Thanks guys! Like I said, I have a Lycoming manual that should be arriving but I wanted to order these parts now, so thanks!

Mahlon, that's the kind of parts list I need . . .

Rick

Back