What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flying in south florida

turbo

Well Known Member
IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

IMG_3516.jpg

FullSizeRender%204.jpg

FullSizeRender%203.jpg

FullSizeRender%202.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

we had a huge group of florida flyers land at indian river aerodrome, just west of vero beach, for a nice lunch and then a special treat. here is rogers summary.
Old Farts

Right at the top... A huge THANK YOU to Old Farts Bill Kaser, Ray Dyson and Carl Miller. Also, a big thank you their wives, friends and neighbors for hosting such a wonderful event as we were treated to today!!! And, we of course want to thank Mr. John Schumann for sharing his magnificent collection of cars with us.

I did not get an "exact count" but I believe we had seventeen aircraft fly into Indian River Aerodrome and another three (two Cirrus and an RV8) fly into VRB, rent a car and drive over. Grass runways and Cirrus wheel pants apparently don't play well together. Our mix of aircraft was its usual wide variety. Sixty-five horsepower Cubs to 450 horsepower Howards. Amphibs to helicopters. High wings, low wings, biplanes, taildraggers, nose daggers... we have them all. Where you gonna go to see two Howards? An Old Farts lunch, of course!

My best guess for lunch was around fifty! I had over thirty on my RSVP list, and thanks to some nice weather... You all showed up! I brought along a couple extras, some "maybes" showed up and the Aerodrome residents crowd was size-able. There was plenty of food... and it was quite good!!! You all ponied up generously, and Bill Kaser (my I.A.) came out with a little extra for the effort. Thanks for your generosity! Bill said if we were short in the collection jar, he would add his losses to the cost of my next Howard annual.

The highlight of the day was a tour of Aerodrome resident, John Schumann's collection of exotic, rare and gorgeous sports cars and race cars. The cars are displayed in pairs by manufacturer... one 20th century, the other post millennial. There were, Chevys, Fords, Jaguars, Aston Martins, Maseratis, Mercedes, Porches and Ferraris. Mr. Schumann gave a brief overview of each car, took a few questions then ran a high quality sound program featuring each car as it starts, winds through the gears, down the stretch of his on site race course... then shuts down. Very cool!!! Then it was off to another building for more cars, including a Lola, Shelby A/C Cobra, Ferraris, etc. The capper was an open wheel Ferrari Formula One car from the Sixties that actually won the French Grand Prix. Yes, these cars were also featured in a sound program. Oh yeah, and on the way to the cars we took a peek into Mr. Schumann's hangar for a look at his Champ, Citabria and Classic Waco. We need to get this guy on our Old Farts list!

Again, thanks to ALL who made this day possible and to whoever got the weather to finally cooperate! Look for an email over the weekend with a destination for next week. Several asked how I was going to top this event? I haven't a clue!

Old Fart Roger
:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing Turbo

So many interesting things are flying under VAF radar. What requirements I need to apply for the Old Farts Club? Perfect spot to open 2016 grass season! :D

What? Mr. Schumann has a Champ, a Citabria and a Waco and doesn't own an RV? Surely someone who appreciates and owns such fine automobiles would appreciate the fine flying qualities of an RV! Introduce him, Turbo! :)

So many interesting things are flying under VAF radar. What requirements I need to apply for the Old Farts Club? Perfect spot to open 2016 grass season! :D
when you finally move to florida i think you will then qualify as an old fart. hang in there comrade. lots of grass down here. :cool:

IMG_1576.jpg

I have pictures of that Ferrari that I took at the races. Nice to know it has a good home. Thanks for the pictures. :)

An added bonus!

Having built a few timber frame homes, I couldn't help but notice the structure in which the vintage car collection was kept...Very nice.
Thanks for a good story Turbo.

Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Is that the 1968 312 driven by Jackie Ickx ? Man - what a sound!
I don't remember the details but the v12 sounds great.

That's the one! 1968 French Grand Prix winner.

Back