What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOA Sport Glareshield Mount

N788RV

Anybody have any ideas or pictures of the AOA sport mounted on the glareshield. This is where I would like to mount mine just haven't came up with a good idea yet.

I just exchanged my AOA sport panel mount LED ladder for the glareshield mount LED ladder.

Instructions call for mounting the LED ladder on the glareshield in a horizontal position. Just screw it in.

I would prefer a vertical position. It wouldn't be to difficult to create a mount.

The challenge would be to create a mount that looks good, most likely will have to create a fiberglass housing.

-Mike
RV-8 TMX0360
finish

I guess I should be more specific. I would like to mount mine vertical, similar to like the T-38. I was thinking of using aluminum. fiberglass didn't cross my mind. That would be a good option. Thanks

I built a custom mount from aluminum channel for my AOA Sport panel mount display made by Advanced Flight Systems http://advanced-control-systems.com/Products/AOA/aoa.html.

It is designed so that the display can be vertical or, by laying it down, produce a heads-up-display (HUD) on the inside of the windscreen.

I am currently using it as a HUD. The leds were visible in almost all lighting conditions except head-on sunlight. I placed a small rectangle of silver window film on the inside of the plexiglas and now the display is easy to see in all conditions without obstructing forward vision.

The only picture I have is not great but here it is:

AOA_HUD_Bracket.JPG

It is hard to know ahead of time where to mount the bracket so that the led's are vertical and in your line of sight. You need to activate the leds in test mode and move the bracket as needed. I used double stick tape to attach the bracket to the glare shield.

Jim Ellis
RV9-A, tipup
flying

Last edited:
Brilliant!

Jim, that is a Great idea - I'm definitely gonna remember that....all sorts of things reflect in the windshield - why not make it something useful!

Note to self....add AOA system to Christmas list...

Silver Window Film

Jim,

Thanks for the Great Idea! In the picture you posted, I think I see the small rectangle of silver window film, but I'm not sure. Is there any chance you could post a shot of your installation from the pilot's perspective?

Thanks Again!

Bill Palmer
Chino Hills, CA
RV-8A In-Progress

Hi Bill,

These pictures might help:

AOA_Bracket1.jpg

Pilot's view of AOA Bracket.

AOA_Bracket2.jpg

Left side view of bracket.

AOA_Wiring.jpg

Wiring from glare shield and reflective film. (I need to redo the film to get the bubbles out.)

AOA_Reflective_Film.jpg

Looking left of center. Leds can be seen even in bright sunlight. Note red on top and green on bottom of display.

AOA_Pilots_View.jpg

Pilot's straight on view of AOA led display. Film allows continuous view outside.

Hope this helps.

Jim Ellis
RV9-A, tip-up
flying

Cool

Wow that's an awesome idea. Do you think this same concept would work if it was just flush mounted on top of the glareshield instead of on the bracket to clean things up a bit or is the bracket necessary to get the correct angle? Also is that a glareshield mount or panel mount led. Could a guy get bye with a smaller piece of the window tape. I am building an RV-8 and assume it might not have to be as wide.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you like the idea. I had a lot of fun doing it. Everyone who has seen it thinks a HUD for the Angle of Attack is a terrific idea. Having the AOA in your field of view during approach and landing is particularly useful.

My original plan was to mount the AOA panel mount display flush in the glare shield pointing up at the windscreen. Because of the compound curve of the windshield it is very difficult to position the led display so that the leds are correctly located and vertical with respect to your viewing position. It really took some trial and error to find the correct position. Slight changes can make a big difference. The mount allows you to swivel and tilt the display to get the reflected image you want.

In a way the elevated position turned out to be beneficial because the closer the display is the the windscreen the brighter image of the reflected leds.

The silver reflective film patch could be much smaller than I made it. I think a 1" x 2" would work, but you would have to place it in exactly the right spot relative to your eye position. A little larger size makes the display visible to both taller and shorter pilots.

I think the HUD presentation would look terrific in an RV8.

Jim Ellis
RV9-A, tipup
flying

Last edited:
Windscreen Pictures

Jim,

Thank You for the additional pictures and installation notes regarding your "Heads Up AOA." I'm going to try it!

Best Regards,

Bill Palmer

That is so good looking! I am going to grab some leftover LED's and make a "mock up" of one that is really flat, and just lay it on the glareshield of my -8....see how it looks! I'd love to flush mount it, but I might find out the same thing Jim did in terms of needing adjustment. Oh well, the experiment will be free, and I'll report back....

Paul

Jim:

How is your HUD at night? Is it distracting in any way, does the tape cut down on light passage?

Jekyll

Hi Jekyll,

To be honest with you I don't know the answer to your question because I haven't flown at night. That said, the AOA Sport has a dimmer (Black button) as a part of the install package that reduces the brightness significantly. I think it will work well a night without causing distraction.

You are correct in thinking that the reflection in the windscreen is not as bright as the leds when viewed directly. The silver window film patch keeps direct sunlight from "washing out" the led reflection.

Jim Ellis
RV9-A, tipup
flying

Jim:

Actually, I was interested in vision through the film at night. It appears to be in your direct vision (intentionally for a HUD of course). The film appears to cut back on light transmission and I was just wondering about seeing the runway at night through the film.

Jekyll

Hi Jekyll,

Sorry I misunderstood your question. I'm afraid that the photos might be misleading because they don't show the whole view of the windscreen. The reflective film patch actually seems much smaller in real life.

The film patch in the photo is about 2"x3" (and could be smaller). The film blocks very little of the total forward viewing area through the windscreen. Lights and lighted surfaces are easily seen through the film during the day and would probably be equally as good in the dark.

Since I haven't flown at night I can't say for certain what you might experience, but I wouldn't expect it to cause a problem. I know that when I'm landing my focus of attention is generally straight ahead during the approach, but changes to the side and down during the flare.

Jim Ellis
RV9-A, tipup
flying

Last edited:
AOA HUD

Jim,

That is way cool!!! Thank you for sharing that with us. I suspect that Paul Dye is in his shop now working on a flatter mount. I look forward to Pauls research report. I am definately interested in installing this feature in my 8A.

Here is another option. I made a little cover and mounted the aoa under it. The unit is recessed about three quarters of an inch which makes the LEDs quite visible in direct sunlight. The AOA display, to be really effective, does need to be up in your line of sight while you are on short final. I have flown a plane that had the display in the panel and it really was not all that useful. Excuse the picture quality, but they will give you the idea. This keeps the unit as small as possible but still in your line of sight.

The aircraft is an F1 rocket with the EVO wing. I now have about 100 hours of flight time and the tapered wing has spoiled me. After flying over a thousand hours in RVs and rockets with the straight wing I did not feel like flying other aircraft. The EVO wing has taken the fun out of the straight wing for me, and I would not have thought that possible!

Aussie Prize

Jim,
You win the "Aussie Innovation" prize for 2006.
Hey, I appreciate the kudos but I am not the only, and probably not the first, to come up with the idea. I am pretty sure that RiteAngle, EM Aviation, even sells a special display with brighter leds for just this purpose.

http://www.riteangle.com/index.htm

They have a number of pictures on their website that show testing a "poor man's heads up display" in a SeaRey.

http://www.riteangle.com/RiteAngle/SeaRey.htm

Still, I thank you for your enthusiasm. It really is a terrific idea even if I am not the inventor.

Jim Ellis
RV9-A, tipup
flying

Jim do you have any photos of the LED display reflected off of the windscreen and if so could you please post the pictures.

Thanks,

Jim Streit
RV-9A
panel

Interim Experiment Report

It took a few weeks before I got around to playing with this, but I promised to report back....

I took a small piece of aluminum "U"-channel, drilled five holes in it, and inserted some random LED's. The length was 1.5 inches - the height of the AOA indicator. I laid it down flat on top of my glareshield, up against the windshield, with power to the LED's. Since I was holding the contacts to the battery, and I didn't have a third hand, I couldn't really take a picture, but what I noticed is that I got a double image of each LED - a reflection off of both the inner and outer surfaces of the windshield. This could prove to be annoying. It was certainly bright and clear to see however.

One thing that I did notice is that when I stood th little assembly upright, so I was viewing it directly, my eye height was such that the top of the assembly was not actually above the nose of the airplane - hard to describe, but essentially, it blocked no sky. SO standing it u in the center, as far forward as possible is probably the same as making it reflect, in terms of not blocking sky.

So....mixed reactions to the test. Will ponder on it awhile. Got lots of space work to do for a few weeks.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Your observations appear to be very much like mine. The double image will go away almost completely if you place a small piece of silver window film on the inside of the windscreen. I wish I knew enough about LED's to build a much brighter display that would project the image higher up on the windscreen. Maybe you can try it when you finish your space stuff!

Last edited:
Back