What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rod Bower Horizontal Induction Throttle/Mixture bracket Design

BlackhawkSP

Well Known Member
Hi folks. I'm using the 90 degree elbow and horizontal induction from Rod Bower on my IO-540 in the 10. I looked around and couldn't find anyone that sold a anything for the throttle/mixture bracket. I searched around in the forums and saw that most fabricated their own. I saw a lot of plate & angles bolted together. Some looked a little cumbersome. They all worked, but I wanted to try for something a little more lighter/elegant that didn't violate the KISS principle.

w1fv9.jpg

The first try was made up of scrap AL sheet to try out.

11rq655.jpg

The next version was tweaking some of the dimensions foe best placement of the tabs to my P-P cables.

The final "paper" version was out of file folder stock to confirm fit/function and then it was time to make a steel one.

kehnw7.jpg

The final version after powder coat. It's made of .050" thick 4130 steel sheet (like Van's brackets) and does the job perfectly for hopefully less weight than some I've seen. With the bent up flange it's plenty strong for this job. That 4130 steel is hard to work with with nothing but hand tools!

28838cl.jpg

The result looks good to me.

316tdmw.jpg

2zjkefp.jpg

33dikvt.jpg

I'm posting this for future builders to maybe see one design that's simple and should work nicely, made from one sheet of steel.

Last edited:
Template available?

Here you go:

30lpflc.jpg

Check the scale on the part with a ruler, and if it's the right size, you're ready to go. Have fun.

If nothing else, you've got a good starting point that you can then tweak the dimensions on for your application.

Excellent work. I plan to use the elbow setup (Airflow Performanc) on my IO-360-A4M and this might just work for me too (RV-7A).

Back