- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
I bought my wings "done" and sweating the details now for the attachment. I found two issues. One was the pitot routing down the center can get pinched between the bell crank and the spar web - the other is taken care of by your conduit routing, that is - clearance around the servo. My conduit is right under the D-sub connector.
Thanks for the advice Bill, I have heard many comment on clearance in the bellcrank area but not the AP motor so I'll be looking out for this as well now. wirejocky Larry has come up with a pretty good bracket in the bellcrank area to address this, I may follow suit.
Working on Wings
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
If you want an IFR airplane, a NAV antenna is, for most practical installs, required. My wingtip NAV antenna works out to 100nmi at altitude. I made several of these antenna for various RV project and I recommend making instead of buying. I have other posts on this if anyone is interested.

Carl
Thanks for that Carl, kind of demystifies why so many people install these. I do want the option of being IFR someday so I may go ahead and install one. Could you provide details of how to make one instead of buying one or at least direct me to where I need to go to take a look?
Working on Wings
Old 06-28-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, Raymo could you comment on one more thing that may help Lynn and I out. He is going to put in the nav antenna in the wing, I have thought about that too but don't know that it's necessary; however, would your conduit run have enough room for this extra wire? I seem to recall seeing it is a rather thick wire, possibly shielded too?
The conduit in mine has plenty of room. A trick to pulling wire through is to use a vacuum cleaner to suck a string down the length of the conduit. Then pull more strings and/or wires.

I opted not to install the VOR antenna because I am not IFR rated and by the time (maybe next year), most approaches will support GPS as VORs/ILS approaches are phazed out. If you want IFR capability for less cost than a certified GPS you should at least run the RG-400 when it is easy to do. The FAA will likely keep some VORs/ILS approaches for years to come but they are expensive to maintain compared to the newer type.

Mac McClellan's The Future Arrives article in EAA Sport Aviation November 2016 magazine is a good read on the topic.
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 06-28-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
The conduit in mine has plenty of room. A trick to pulling wire through is to use a vacuum cleaner to suck a string down the length of the conduit. Then pull more strings and/or wires.

I opted not to install the VOR antenna because I am not IFR rated and by the time (maybe next year), most approaches will support GPS as VORs/ILS approaches are phazed out. If you want IFR capability for less cost than a certified GPS you should at least run the RG-400 when it is easy to do. The FAA will likely keep some VORs/ILS approaches for years to come but they are expensive to maintain compared to the newer type.

Mac McClellan's The Future Arrives article in EAA Sport Aviation November 2016 magazine is a good read on the topic.
That was indeed a very good read Ray. I am probably a good 3 to 5 years (maybe) from completion since I am just now on my wings. I really have to wonder that if by the time I finish, will there still be enough VOR stations around to make a NAV radio useful? I think I may just run the coax since its not very expensive, but hold off on buying the Archer antenna until I am close to flying.

Here's a schedule of the VORs decommission: http://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-f...down-308-vors/
Wing Kit Started - June 2017
My Build Log: http://www.theskunkwerx.com

VAF Donation paid for 2017
Old 06-28-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Thanks for that Carl, kind of demystifies why so many people install these. I do want the option of being IFR someday so I may go ahead and install one. Could you provide details of how to make one instead of buying one or at least direct me to where I need to go to take a look?
PM me your email and I'll send a write up on how to do this.

Carl
Old 06-29-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post

Thanks for that explanation and link, I had no idea. The nearest ILS to me is probably an hours flight so I'm not sure the antenna will do me much good. Sometimes living in the boonies has its drawbacks. haha
Working on Wings