What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Combo Tow Bar: 3-axis Stick/Rudder Lock, & Parking Brake

Bill_H

Well Known Member
In some other threads there has been talk about parking brakes, etc. It seems that many do not know that the Van's towbar can be used not only as a towbar but also for:

Aileron, Pitch, and Rudder lock
or
Aileron, Pitch, and Rudder lock WITH PARKING BRAKE.

How? These pics show it in this mode
Aileron, Pitch, and Rudder lock WITH PARKING BRAKE.

This is accomplished by drilling two more holes for the arms to be positioned shorter, and at a right angle to the tow bar position. Notice how the tow bar ends (wrapped in electrical tape) are firmly depressing the brakes. The handle end is firmly against the vertical surface aft of the stick.

You can drill one more set of holes to make the arms about an inch shorter, and that would allow setting them against the rudder pedals WITHOUT engaging the brakes.

Notice that the stick is held in a neutral position - not full aft, much better. It cannot move left or right. It cannot move aft because the stick narrows (also wrapped there with electrical tape.) It can't move forward because the velcro strap stops it. You could also make a little wooden stop block to engage the velcro strap better, but mine, wound tightly, resists forward movement of the stick quite well.

IMG_0460%252520-%252520Copy.JPG

IMG_0461%252520-%252520Copy.JPG

Thanks for posting that. I'd been wondering how to use the tow bar to lock the stick too. Now that I see how it's done, I feel like a numbskull for not figuring it out.

"How absurdly simple!" I cried.

"Quite so!" said he, a little nettled. "Every problem becomes very childish when once it is explained to you. "

Last edited:
Yes, I originally didn't know this either until a fellow -12 owner showed me. Also, I can't believe how much easier it is to move the airplane around with the tow bar than without. That Van guy is pretty smart. ;)

Back