What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder lock

MichRV10

Well Known Member
What ideas have everyone come up with for a rudder lock for our 10's?
I tried a soft rubber tube in the rudder to stop any movement, but a gust of wind showed it didn't work.

3135F

Rudder Locks

There is a rudder lock that someone is selling.

http://www.rvtraining.com/html/gust_lock.html

Tim Olsen has one in his plane but I think he modified it slightly so that it pushed against the rudder pedal and not the master cylinders.

I will take a picture of the one I made next time I am at the hanger. It works perfect. I bought a small expandable roller rod and added some PVC fittings. It wedges between the pedals and the floor beneath the stick and locks in. I think I spent $25.00 on parts and I made it 15 minutes before a weekend trip. I will sell my prototype for 3 easy payments of $19.95. haha

For the ailerons and elevator I use the seat belt with a couple of wraps then lock it in.

I copied Checca's

n468ac said:
I copied the Checcas' design except did not bother to put in a hinge. I find I can just wiggle it a little and it snaps on. It's an excellent design - thanks, guys! - and has the outstanding advantages of 1] strength and 2] it absolutely cannot be forgotten before flight. You can also put it on before you get out on a windy day, thus covering a small window of risk.

hevansrv7a said:
I copied the Checcas' design except did not bother to put in a hinge. I find I can just wiggle it a little and it snaps on. It's an excellent design - thanks, guys! - and has the outstanding advantages of 1] strength and 2] it absolutely cannot be forgotten before flight. You can also put it on before you get out on a windy day, thus covering a small window of risk.

thanks for the compliments :)

Rudder Pedal Lock

Here are the shots of the rudder lock that I made. I works great.

114616391-L.jpg

Like I said before, it is a small paint roller handle that is expandable and locks with a twist.

Back