What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

John Irwin - 90 years old - Eagle Flight

Lycosaurus

Well Known Member
John Irwin (no relation to Aircraft Spruce) is a close friend and neighbor to Shirley's sister Betty. We flew to Bancroft, Ontario for a Thanksgiving family weekend as well as to join in John's surprise 90th birthday celebration.

Bancroft CNW3 is a small gravel strip airport, with a very interesting day VFR-only approach. Approach to RWY 30 is nestled between two hills. Makes for an interesting and challenging landing.

This hill on the right (sort of doing a left base for 30) is Eagle's Nest. Makes for an interesting view for the people on the observation deck.

DSC05200.jpg

DSC05201.jpg

DSC05188%20dect.jpg

John and his cake. Where are you going to put 90 candles?

DSC05218.jpg

John received congratulatory certificates from several levels of government.

DSC05214.jpg

DSC05226.jpg

We wondered if John would be interested in a flight, and he did not hesitate to accept the challenge.

DSC05228.jpg

The fall colors are out, for a splendid view.

DSC05183.jpg

DSC05181.jpg

After a short flight viewing his home and surroundings, we turned back and made a most successful landing.

DSC05233.jpg

In John's words: "This was the best 90th birthday I have ever had". He's a real funny guy. Hope to be just as sharp and limber when we get to be his age.

Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving!

I knew your flew to Bancroft not just for the family reunion. Good job getting John airborne! I couldn't boast the rider of that age but I had a gentleman of late 80ies who was airborne only two times in his life. First time about 50 years ago fleeing a regime and second time in my RV. He loved it! Best regards to John! :)

Nice trip write-up, Alfio. It is most excellent to see you have shared the joy of flight. Having had the pleasure of sitting in that same seat, I can definitely appreciate your comments about John's need of being limber to get in and out. Your timing put the flight at or at least very close to the peak of the fall colours. Beautiful.

Back