What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Touch partial panel for IFR training?

NovaBandit

Well Known Member
Now that I'm almost done with phase 1, the next thing on the list is getting my instrument rating.

I know that in the IFR practical test standards, you have to demonstrate the ability to fly safely in IMC under partial panel. In today's glass panels, what do they consider "partial panel"?

During my test flying, I've tested the redundancies that I've designed into the system. I can pretty much turn off any one thing in the plane, and still drone along with very little impact. Some simulated equipment failure I've tested:

• ADHRS1: I lose magnetic heading, IAS, and TAS as I only have one magnetometer and temp probe which routes thru ADHRS1
  • ADHRS2: No effect
  • PFD: MFD automagically goes into reversionary mode, and becomes a PFD. I now have to turn my head slightly, and EFIS audio alerts go away as they route from the PFD
  • MFD: Because of the way the VPX is configured, I can't test this in flight. But I know I'd lose the VPX interface, the AP control box (I'd still have soft buttons on the PFD), and worst of all, I'd lose XM music!
  • ARINC: I lose GTN data on the EFIS
  • EIS: I lose engine parameters, as well as some other annunciators
  • Master Switch: Even with total battery or master failure, I still have the MFD, EIS, AHRS, and GMC305 (for flight director) that run off of a TCW backup battery.

Beyond that, I'm planning on having an iPad with Foreflight and a Stratus 2s with it's own internal battery. That should give me GPS and synthetic vision that's good enough to get me into VMC should I somehow lose EVERYTHING in the plane. I'll be getting (and testing) this once I begin the instrument training in earnest.

With all that, what might I be asked to do to prove that I can fly with "partial panel"?

You will have to run this by your examiner. Almost all of them have their own take on this and will require different performance....

I am doing the IFR training now. I purchased a couple sheets of cling vinyl in black and cut out all the various "INOP" covers and labeled them.

As Brian noted, the designated examiners don't seem to have a common take on this question - made difficult because there is no one standard for EAB aircraft in this regard.
If you had a stand alone EFIS (e.g., a Dynon D6 or GRT Mini) then they almost certainly would want you to demonstrate an approach using the standby EFIS, maybe using your iPad GPS too.
With your setup there will be a lot of questions, such as, if you lose the single magnetometer, does the attitude solution go crazy? That said, in my very limited experience, the DE's seem happy to just pull the breakers on #1 PFD and/or #1 ADHRS.
I'm not sure I'd mention the iPad ultimate fall-back, unless you're prepared to demonstrate it!
As you know, DE's are not required to accept candidates in EAB airplanes, so be sure to ask them about this before going too far in the process. In my area there's been no problem, but I've read from some that had trouble finding an examiner. Once you have one, discuss the p/p issue with him before the test.

One instrument failure

3. Demonstrates a nonprecision instrument approach without the use of the primary flight instrument using the objectives of the nonprecision approach Task (Area of Operation VI, Task A).

Note the PTS says instrument - singular. While the examiner has some latitude, they are taught they can only fail one instrument.

So turning off the master or multiple failures is not allowed per the PTS. Losing a PFD would constitute multiple instrument failures.

3. Demonstrates a nonprecision instrument approach without the use of the primary flight instrument using the objectives of the nonprecision approach Task (Area of Operation VI, Task A).

Note the PTS says instrument - singular. While the examiner has some latitude, they are taught they can only fail one instrument.

So turning off the master or multiple failures is not allowed per the PTS. Losing a PFD would constitute multiple instrument failures.

"If the aircraft is capable, total failure of the electronic flight instrument display, or a supporting component, with access only to the standby flight instruments or backup display shall be evaluated."
The above quote is from the forward of the PTS, where there is a whole paragraph on evaluations with an EFIS.

Its still remains one fail of one primary instrument. With backup or supporting instruments you still have all of your needed info, just in a different location than normal. Similar to the revisionary button on the G1000 where the main PFD functions slide over to the MFD. The examiner cannot fail a PFD if there is no backup/supporting. In that scenario everyone crashes.

Back