What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New 12 flys and Volt and amps show Zero

SportAvServ

Well Known Member
Have a friend that just flew his new 12 SLSA yesterday, a couple of minor issues but it flew well and he at the ripe age of 87 made a nice take off and landing. He is not on here that I know of, he is Frank Storm of El Dorado Hills Ca, first flight was at RIU (Rancho Murieta). His 3rd RV, a 6,6a and the 12. He is a retired PanAm Captin and was a FAC in Korea. So super congrats to a repeat offender.
The only issue is that we now don't have volt or amp indications, the bars are there just no value, just a "0". I have been helping him with issues all along and called Dynon on this and he said that Van's are the ones that wire it they just build it, so I'm looking for a hint of where to go look. Maybe someone has had this happen, that's right I'm looking for the easy way out!! Any help would be appreciated.

Randy
Yes they were working last time I ran the plane, King at Dynon helped me with changing a wire to get the Amp guage to function, but all worked after that.

I am an SLSA owner. With all issues (usually just questions - I've had no major warranty issues) I email or call Gus Funnell at Vans or Kaitlyn Tepe.

They usually respond quickly.

RV-12

With the master switch on, what is the voltage on EMS-220 37-PIN D-SUB pins 1 and 24?
Don't know Mich, I'm tryig to avoid taking the canopy and instrument cover off until I have some ideas, but I will look at the schematic, I do have that. Thanks for the help I will give it a go.

You will need to start reading the Dynon manuals. For example, there is a diagnostic page showing every raw input the Dynon is measuring, on which input wires, and it's update several times/sec. It will show what pins the display widget is connected to. Your configuration could be wrong, sounds likely, or bad wires.

If your canopy is installed correctly you don't

have to take it off to remover the panel cover. Most of the screws can be removed with the canopy up but there's one on each side that can only be removed with the canopy fully closed. I've done this several times.

Wayne 120241/143WM

Dynon recommends 1amp fuses or fuse links on the high and low connections to the shunt. Check these.

If I understood you correctly in the original post, this is a new SLSA. I would be careful about doing any disassembly an SLSA still under warranty. Varying types of service are /are not permitted for owners (need to check maintenance manual) but I would advise checking with Vans before removing any panel covers, etc. In any case it should be under warranty and thus Vans may refer you to a local shop for repair. As an example, they referred me to Vic Syracuse to install my second EFIS screen.

If I understood you correctly in the original post, this is a new SLSA. I would be careful about doing any disassembly an SLSA still under warranty. Varying types of service are /are not permitted for owners (need to check maintenance manual) but I would advise checking with Vans before removing any panel covers, etc. In any case it should be under warranty and thus Vans may refer you to a local shop for repair. As an example, they referred me to Vic Syracuse to install my second EFIS screen.

With the way the first post is worded, it would be my guess that it contained a typo and it was actually the first flight of an E-LSA (not S-LSA)

............King at Dynon helped me with changing a wire to get the Amp guage to function, but all worked after that.

Don't know Mich, I'm tryig to avoid taking the canopy and instrument cover off until I have some ideas, but I will look at the schematic, I do have that. Thanks for the help I will give it a go.

A bit confused. If you already worked on wiring how did you do that without removing the cover? And are you saying it worked after that wiring change? Then when did it stop working?

And, is it truly a SLSA built by the factory?

More info would help.

FAA records show a rather short "N" number containing the owners initials.
This leads me to believe that the aircraft is probably an ELSA.

FAA records show a rather short "N" number containing the owners initials.
This leads me to believe that the aircraft is probably an ELSA.

It's a ESLA, just didn't know the difference, sorry, first mistake this year:D Still working on the problem I will post when we figure it out. The "N" number is 86FS he thought it would fly last year, but you all know how that goes.!
Thanks for the help.
Rt

Back