VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-29-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Mounting ELT Antenna

Trying to figure out where to mount the ELT antenna has absorbed a small percentage of brain power for quite a while, now, and I think that I've come up with something that's at least a little bit clever.

I don't know if anyone else has stumbled upon this, so I thought I'd share. Here's a picture:

Or if you want more of a writeup, click here:

http://www.golfsierra.org/9nov06/9nov06.html#elt
RV-10, contemplating
golfsierra.org
Old 11-29-2006, 11:07 AM

Garrett:

I was thinking of doing the same exact thing, except I was thinking of putting it a little closer to the center channel and using some sort of insulated stand-off to attach it to the center channel.

Good job.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:10 AM

If and when you auger that bad boy in, the tail will most likely be high and or most likely undamaged. This location uses no useable space and is not visible under the intersection fairing.

-Jeff

Old 11-29-2006, 04:49 PM

Remember guys, the ELT is one of the TSO'd pieces of equipment and as such MUST be installed per the manufacturers installation proceedures. Most ELT installations say the antenna must be within 20 degrees of vertical.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 11-29-2006, 05:02 PM

Why bother installing the elt antenna at all. These last ideas for location will not work worth a hoot. If you never crash it won't matter, if you do the radiation pattern and range will be next to useless. If you think these are good locations then you need to mount your com antennae there also, after all they have many watts of power and the elt only has a few milliwatts.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:15 PM

Default Mel, Norman ... Give this guys a break...

They are planing on hitting the ground vertically, so that there antennae will be aimed just right.

Me, I mounted mine vertically so that it will work correctly when I bring it in flat.

See you all on 121.5 (I hope not.)

Kent
Canby, Or
Old 11-29-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Remember guys, the ELT is one of the TSO'd pieces of equipment and as such MUST be installed per the manufacturers installation proceedures. Most ELT installations say the antenna must be within 20 degrees of vertical.
Mel:

Just curious...what are the other TSO'd items?

Jamie
Old 11-29-2006, 07:21 PM

Transponder!
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 11-29-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentb
They are planing on hitting the ground vertically, so that there antennae will be aimed just right.

Me, I mounted mine vertically so that it will work correctly when I bring it in flat.

See you all on 121.5 (I hope not.)

Kent
When you try to grease that landing in the corn feilds of Texas, you can bet your sweet bippy the final rest position will be flat on its back just after the infamous RV ground loop. I dont think any previously shown installation will work very well for transmission at that point. Seriously though, we can only hope our situation won't even warrant the use of the darn thing.

-Jeff
Old 11-29-2006, 09:00 PM

There are good reasons to mount the antenna vertical. For one, it's so when you crash land or hopefully make a decent forced landing that the antenna stays connected to the antenna cable and the ELT and that it is somewhat vertical. Oh...and another reason, so when one of my counterparts or I goes looking for your butt with our antiquated DF equipment both from the air and on the ground that we can actually find you.....alive!

On my plane it's getting mounted on the outside top in front of the vertical stabilizer. Doesn't look great but it will work when it is needed. I have chased enough of these things to know what works.

One more thing to consider. When your ELT is going off accidently while parked which is extreamly common and one of my counterparts or I get a 3AM call from the AFRCC to find it, you won't have to worry about the police department being dispached to watch as your aircraft is opened up to turn off your ELT. It is much easier to cover the antenna when on the outside and let you mosey on over in the morning or after work to turn off your own ELT. It is illegal to transmit on the emergency frequency when it is not an emergency.
Current Project - RV8 Hot Rod
Currently Flying - RV8
RV4 - FAST & FUN! 0320 GRT IFR Panel - Sold to another Very Lucky Guy
RV-7A Built, Flown, then Sold to a Very Lucky Guy

RV1 Tour Pilot