What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Garmin G3X Touch Videos!

Nice. I'd love to see a series based on training classes but it's a good start!

it's very intuitive system, i can't think of a single thing that was difficult for me to learn on my own, have you flown it yet?

anything you want to manipulate, you just touch...

I agree that it is very intuitive.

However, I think training videos would be great, as I'm still finding new features this system has (that I didn't know about) every few times I fly.

I agree that it is very intuitive.

However, I think training videos would be great, as I'm still finding new features this system has (that I didn't know about) every few times I fly.

can you give an example so that we can all learn if that's the case? curious to see what people are stumbling upon

it's very intuitive system, i can't think of a single thing that was difficult for me to learn on my own, have you flown it yet?

anything you want to manipulate, you just touch...

45 hours and counting, and yes I agree that it's very intuitive. However, when I read the manual and compare that to my use in flight, I feel that there is so much more I could know and understand at a deeper level with better training. The manual is extensive /comprehensive but hard to recall on demand and not practical to use in flight. A different training method/tool would add to my enjoyment/confidence/capability. It's not a deal breaker but a "nice to have". However if I was using for IFR flight I would be a bit concerned that I was missing something. Unlike G1000, not a lot of CFI's out there who are G3X experts so videos seem to me the best possible compromise.

can you give an example so that we can all learn if that's the case? curious to see what people are stumbling upon

It's not so much a question of what people are stumbling upon, it's the depth of functionality that's there and taking full advantage of it. Basic flying isn't hard, but getting full value from the system is challenging.

If you review the Dynon videos done from their Skyview training course, you may get an idea what I mean. I think it's especially valuable for someone transitioning from steam gauges - the nuances of functions, setup, and use of certain capabilities are quite significant.

As one concrete example, in my case, learning how to take best advantage of the autopilot's capability would have been helped tremendously by a training video - the manual is hard to read when describing these functions. The AP and the GMC controller together are very sophisticated. It took me a while to learn the best way to set up a cruise climb (IAS instead of vertical rate) as one example. I don't have an IFR navigator, but if I did I would want EXTENSIVE training on coupling the autopilot to the approaches.

Make no mistake, I am a HUGE FAN of the G3X system. Before buying my RV-12 I did study the Dynon videos and I must say having something of that caliber for G3X (touch especially) would add even more to my fanboy status.

Last edited:
"A different training method/tool would add to my enjoyment/confidence/capability."

Does Garmin (Or any other EFIS seller for that matter) make a desktop simulator available? That would be another excellent way to learn. Just like I recall there was a 430W simulator for Windows ... If you could run a G3X touch on your desktop, you could fool around and learn without any worries of killing yourself ;)

That + free videos could make for a fairly complete training package.

But you know, they sell training, so keep that in mind ...

"A different training method/tool would add to my enjoyment/confidence/capability."

Does Garmin (Or any other EFIS seller for that matter) make a desktop simulator available? That would be another excellent way to learn. Just like I recall there was a 430W simulator for Windows ... If you could run a G3X touch on your desktop, you could fool around and learn without any worries of killing yourself ;)

Excellent thoughts. I'm not aware of the training that is for sale. Can you elaborate?

Can't find any reference now, but I'm 99% sure I've seen references in the past of Garmin running/selling classroom based training for some of their gear ... possibly the G1000, or the GTN series?

Yes. Avidyne has a simulator.

Love it

Saw the Single Screen system installed on John Klat MX-S Aerobatic aircraft at the Winston Salem Airshow and was impresed how easy to use, easy to read, features, Autopliot, etc....the system was! Congrats to G X Team once again!

Garmin Simulator

I downloaded the GTN Garmin Simulator to my IPad and I guess it only has a limited free period. I think it gave me something like 30 days to try it out. I tried to access it yesterday and it said the free period was over.

I wish Garmin would give owners of Garmin products such as the GTN product line a free subscription to the simulator free of charge.

I downloaded the GTN Garmin Simulator to my IPad and I guess it only has a limited free period. I think it gave me something like 30 days to try it out. I tried to access it yesterday and it said the free period was over.

I wish Garmin would give owners of Garmin products such as the GTN product line a free subscription to the simulator free of charge.

I have no clue about the app but my GTN came with a CD with the PC simulator on it and the many of the PC simulators can be downloaded on the website.

GTN PC Sim Link

Saw the Single Screen system installed on John Klat MX-S Aerobatic aircraft at the Winston Salem Airshow and was impresed how easy to use, easy to read, features, Autopliot, etc....the system was! Congrats to G X Team once again!

Indeed..that was a fun install, and John (as well as his other company pilots) quite like it. Keep in mind he also flies F-16's, airliners and other planes for a living, so he has a good base to compare and contrast with that he used when selecting this system. I don't think there are too many other MXSes with full Auotpilots in them, but given the reasonably light weight of those servos, they chose to have it installed for the majority of the time the plane spends being ferried to and fro across the country.

As to the question at hand, I think the mfgr's are aware that a somewhat more concise and simplified manual that is aimed at specific subject areas would be helpful, as would additional videos and training courses as well as the ability to put your system into "training" mode. I know they are watching/reading/listening, so we'll see what they do!

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks Brian

Thanks for the link Brian. Really appreciate it. Not sure what is going on with the app but I will definitely download and try out the link. I have the CD's also, but I haven't done a deep dive into those yet. Good to know its there.
cj

I have no clue about the app but my GTN came with a CD with the PC simulator on it and the many of the PC simulators can be downloaded on the website.

GTN PC Sim Link

I may be the next owner of John's MX Aircraft. As for other A/P's in other MX's, yes there are but none w/ the capabilities that John's MX has! Once again. Congrats! You mind me asking how much was John's entire installation cost?
Indeed..that was a fun install, and John (as well as his other company pilots) quite like it. Keep in mind he also flies F-16's, airliners and other planes for a living, so he has a good base to compare and contrast with that he used when selecting this system. I don't think there are too many other MXSes with full Auotpilots in them, but given the reasonably light weight of those servos, they chose to have it installed for the majority of the time the plane spends being ferried to and fro across the country.

As to the question at hand, I think the mfgr's are aware that a somewhat more concise and simplified manual that is aimed at specific subject areas would be helpful, as would additional videos and training courses as well as the ability to put your system into "training" mode. I know they are watching/reading/listening, so we'll see what they do!

Cheers,
Stein

Back