What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight - Bob Lund's RV-8

Pat Hatch

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Bob Lund, retired AA triple7 driver, did the honors this morning early in Vero Beach, FL. Photo ship was Pat Hatch's RV-6. Only squawk was an elevator trim calibration adjustment, everything else was perfect. CHTs were in the mid 300's, oil temp with an Aero Classic HE Mod #1001599 oil cooler mounted behind cylinder #4 peaked out at 203? in the climb to 6,500' and settled in the mid 190's after level off. Bob was running the engine hard so we expect these temps to come down, especially the oil temp. Plus, in case you didn't know, it's warm in FL right now!

Smoke worked:

And the obligatory "RV grin" photo:

Hey Pat,
We just finished flying the time off an RV8 with the same cooler in the same location and it has had similar temps from day one. I switched to the same oil cooler and rebuilt my #4 baffle to support it and have the same temps there also!

Hey Pat,
We just finished flying the time off an RV8 with the same cooler in the same location and it has had similar temps from day one. I switched to the same oil cooler and rebuilt my #4 baffle to support it and have the same temps there also!

Hey Jon. Yup, angle valve temps, pretty typical. Lower CHTs, higher oil temp. I guess Pacific Oil Cooler took them over, this is their Stewart Warner equivalent, very nice unit. We also beefed up the baffle on #4 like you did. Simple and effective, good way to go.

Here is what my EGT/CHT comparison is for lean of peak and rich of peak. A whole 1.5 gallon difference for almost 10knots of speed!

Vans%20RV8

Back