What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing the right elevator trailing edge

WVM

Well Known Member
The manual states: "Draw a fastener line on the upper surface of the trailing edge wedge 7/32" to 1/4" aft the forward edge."

What does VANS understand as "forward edge"? The first line I draw resulted in the wedge being pushed against the stiffeners in the middle. The second "forward edge" :) results that the wedge sticks out for about 4/32" at the trailing edge.

I tried to find some pictures from other builders but they generally don't give enough detail to confirm that this is the correct way.

I ended up finding a line that gave me just a little of the wedge sticking out past the skin. I feel that the trailing edge should be filed flat after completion anyway so if some sticks out it will be filed away. If you were not careful during the stiffener process you will have some that touch. One reason most will apply a sealer of some sort along this stiffener/wedge joint.

I see, both work for me. I think that they mean that the line needs to be measured from the thinness side of the wedge. Only 4/32" feel like much. Maybe this is on purpose to get the transition smooth? That is what I try to find out.

1/4" AFT of the forward edge of the wedge puts it about here.

This location allows enough "meat" for machine countersinking so that the dimples in the skin don't bottom out into each other. The skin then lays nice and flat against the wedge. Smooth transition to the trailing edge point of the wedge.

In this shot you can see how much of the wedge sticks out aft of the skin edge.

Hope this helps you decide where to drill yours.

Ah, the line should be drawn from the thick side of the wedge, not the thin side... You have the same distance sticking out as I have now.

Great! Many thanks it is clear now.

Back